Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M135i/M140i anyone?

GP41

Hi all,

Thinking about an M140i as a new daily to replace our 17 year old Golf GTi.

Anybody any good/bad experiences to report? Jcx - I see from a forum search that you've had one a while ago- do you still have it? What do you think?

I realise this is no Porsche replacement, but then it's not supposed to be - it needs to be a bit practical (not massively so though - we have an Audi Avant so we already have a load-lugger) and good fun to drive, without costing the earth to run.

I was looking at getting a second hand one in the low to mid twenties but the deals are so good at the moment that, unless you are looking low twenties, there's little sense in not just buying new. There are some particularly good deals on the new facelift due out next month (Shadow edition).

With a used one I'd be concerned that I didn't know how well it had been treated - especially if it was ex-demo/not run-in etc. - but if we go for a new one I might just worry about leaving it anywhere.....

I've never bought, owned or driven a beemer before (apart from recent test drives that I came away very impressed from) so any thoughts much appreciated!

TIA

Im have tried/test drove a Golf R and M140i over the last couple of weeks. Both seem fairly quick.
Rear drive BMW is more involving, Golf feels more planted.
BMW slightly nicer looking interior, but the Golf seats just fitted me better.

Not much of an insight really, just my observations.

Interesting feedback.

We had an extended (4 hour) test drive in an M140i at the weekend. On Sunday we drove a Golf GTD. Golf seats were much more comfortable. After an hour or so in the beemer I had pains across my shoulders - felt as though the seat was trying to push me forwards out of them, however I adjusted them. Also found the beemer's suspension setup to be really annoying after a little while. Felt like I was constantly bouncing up and down at a fairly high frequency, even on decent roads - had a headache by the time we got out of the car. Our old Golf GTi and the 911 are both very firm setups but neither leaves you feeling like that. The new Golf was better than the Beemer but still not as good as our old Golf. Must be something about modern suspension/damping!

I don't know how much the BMW Adaptive suspension would help. One sales guy said it was essential, the next said it would make no difference!

I just thought the bolsters on the seats in the 140 seemed too narrow, I have since read they are possibly adjustable.

It also looks likely that some of the deals on offer in in Q2 are now not as good since we are now in Q3, but I just read that on another forum rather than knowing it to be true.

You can adjust the bolsters - there's a rocker switch on the front outside edge of the seat, but it didn't help me.

The deals are poorer now, which was another thing that was disappointing.

Looks like we are back to square one :?

My brother recently got a 5 door M135i. It is a little used main dealer car with a warranty and almost the entire options list on it, and to him that made far more sense than getting a brand new one. He was coming out of an E93 M3 (the change being prompted by the birth of my nephew) so he predictably reports that he doesn't find it anything like as planted but he is still happy with it thus far. Compared to his old M3 he is finding it hilariously cheap to run and much more practical.

Thanks Colin. We started off our search looking at used but the deals were so good on the new ones it didn't make much sense to get a "nearly new" one. However, the deals are disappearing and the options list is growing ... so if we do go back to consider these again I think we would look for used - we'd just need to find one with adaptive dampers and find a decent seat position. I think if you are careful you can get decent fuel consumption (upto 40mpg on long M-way journeys) which is not bad for a car with about 330bhp!

I picked up a pre reg M140i auto yesterday. Seems like an enjoyable package. I was happy with the deal I got.

Almost 40mpg on long motorway journey home.

Shadow edition

Just put an order in for the M140i Shadow edition which will replace my m125d as a daily drive. Looking forward to a late March delivery.

I drove a couple about two years or so ago with a view to buy.

Bmw dealer offered 6k off list with no real pressure. The bid/buy spread on these is massive as it is for most bmw's ime.

Great car but needs adaptive suspension i think. Manual box is pretty lazy the auto is stupidly good, the car obviously designed around it. Pokey boot, lifeless steering and real cost of ownership stopped me.

I kept mine a year. Loved it. But I had it chipped and changed the springs to sort the suspension. I had adaptive too. Was a super car. My neighbour's son bought it and he still loves it.

I've had 2, pre facelift and facelift and think that you will find the non adaptive suspension too soft. Adaptive will help but most people suggest the car is better with adaptive and Eibach springs to get over the un planted feel. I also tried a Golf R and a Golf GTI more recently and if I was after a practical daily then I would go for the R - I preferred the planted feel of the AWD, the better cabin accommodation and seating position. First world problem though, neither is a bad car!

Endex said:
I've had 2, pre facelift and facelift and think that you will find the non adaptive suspension too soft. Adaptive will help but most people suggest the car is better with adaptive and Eibach springs to get over the un planted feel. I also tried a Golf R and a Golf GTI more recently and if I was after a practical daily then I would go for the R - I preferred the planted feel of the AWD, the better cabin accommodation and seating position. First world problem though, neither is a bad car!

Right. The Eibach springs transformed my car.

Test drove an m135i not so long back for the wife , it was a nice car. Went well liked it , comfy a good drive. I have an m3

Had a golf r for a weekend , ordered one. It was a good alrounder, comfy well planted.

Both good cars , could not make a wrong choice by getting either one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back