Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window Switch - Official or pattern?

A993LAD

Hockenheim
One of my window switches has developed a fault and will wind the window down but not back up again so I guess I need to buy replacement switch.

I just went on to design 911 and the offer two versions.

URO brand for £19.50
or an OE Porsche part for £40.25

Is there any reason not to buy the cheaper one?

I asked the same question on the forum recently and was advised to get the official one. I actually bought one of each and kept the cheaper one as a back up in case the windows get stuck down.

Hi,

I've had URO brand ones on my drivers side for the last 8 years or more (Type911) and they have been fine. I think after breaking them you tend to be a little more careful when you operate them and make sure you press vertically on the whole switch tab rather than say pushing from the side, if you get my meaning :?:

ATB :)

I paid £28 for mine from my local OPC. I was also advised to go OE, but can't remember now why :)

Same happened to me a couple of months ago, i bought one off ebay for 15 quid and it works a treat :thumb:

eBay for me too.

rstaichi said:
Same happened to me a couple of months ago, i bought one off ebay for 15 quid and it works a treat :thumb:

Thanks good tip. Just ordered one off ebay

£8.12 from Eurocarparts, free delivery. Ive replaced all of mine over the years with these after market switches, theyre just about identical in colour and texture. Total bargain.

If you've inclination towards DIY, try drilling out the crappy plastic hinges and replace them with a metal rod of the same size. It should solve your problem and add years to your original switch.

In my experience, the best that can be said about the genuine switches - is that they're marginally less crappy than the aftermarket ones. Personally, I'd go with ECP and save your pennies :thumb:

ballcock said:
If you've inclination towards DIY, try drilling out the crappy plastic hinges and replace them with a metal rod of the same size.
The shaft from a pop rivet is good for this 8)

Chris993C2 said:
In my experience, the best that can be said about the genuine switches - is that they're marginally less crappy than the aftermarket ones. Personally, I'd go with ECP and save your pennies :thumb:

ballcock said:
If you've inclination towards DIY, try drilling out the crappy plastic hinges and replace them with a metal rod of the same size.
The shaft from a pop rivet is good for this 8)

Good idea. I might fit the aftermarket one and then try fixing the original one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back