Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 911 is going...

JoePeps

A 911 has been my realistic dream car to own for a very long time and thanks to a bit of luck from an old pension I managed/forced myself to buy one at 27. But after some long thinking I've decided to go back to a BMW, a manual M2.

Ended up going for a gen 2 997 C2S PDK with a lot of very good options from Porsche in Nottingham, was over the moon when I bought it but quickly realised I was never quite gelling with the car like I wanted to and as much as I tried to force myself to love it after 8 months I decided it had to go, far too expensive to not love it every time I start it up.

What will I miss:

- the looks, such a pretty car
- the interior is lovely
- waking up to the view of a 911 on my drive

What I won't miss:

- PDK
- too much grip
- not having fun
- ride quality
- road noise

It just has too much grip for the power and you have to drive like a complete idiot to push the limits and that's too much on the road. Had I bought a manual I would probably have fallen in love as it would be a bit easier to play with the back end at low speed for my abilities. It also never sounded as good as it needed to for me, it has the sports exhaust but coming from a V8 with a modified exhaust it was never going to cut the mustard for me.

I've learnt that everytime I've sold an M3 (2 x E46's & 1 x E90) that I've always regretted it and ended up going back down that route, so I'm hoping instead of swapping cars so much I'll be happy with the M2 as it should tick the boxes that I want it to. Seriously looking forward to a manual again as it just feels so much more natural to me.

Cost was always going to be a big factor when buying something like this, and I hoped that it wouldn't be 'too' bad to run but went into it with my eyes open. Fuel wise it has averaged 21mpg over the last 4k miles, which is about right as I've not really been bothered about driving it for fun and going for a thrash, however today I got an average of 12mpg over 40 miles having one last thrash, and I did enjoy it strangely! I have lost about £5k from buying it to PX'ing it in, including interest on the finance; and that's over 8 months and 5500 miles. Other than fuel and tax I've not spent a penny elsewhere. A lot of cash to lose but it has ticked a dream box for me and I'm happy enough with that.

A few final pics from earlier:

I know what you mean, a Turbo would sort out any issues apart from noise.

I also bought an M3 V8 (after having 8 E46 M3's and a few M5's) people don't realize just how good an all-rounder they are, I love mine, its such a perfect package and the noise with the 2.5 mod is incredible and sounds like a Lambo !!

I have a deposit down on an M2 CSL should they make one, but having driven the M2, I think the NA V8 niose and all is better!!

Mine...not the best at any one thing, but a great car...

Sorry to hear that joe.

I can understand if it's not for you etc but you can't really compare a 911 to anything as they are in a class all on its own.

I've got a manual and it's totally exhilarating when pushed. Corners included.

It's a sports car not a GT car after all.

Good luck but I bet you'll miss it :thumb:

Boba fett said:

I also bought an M3 V8 (after having 8 E46 M3's and a few M5's) people don't realize just how good an all-rounder they are, I love mine, its such a perfect package and the noise with the 2.5 mod is incredible and sounds like a Lambo !!

I have a deposit down on an M2 CSL should they make one, but having driven the M2, I think the NA V8 niose and all is better!!

I always enjoy your posts on cutters mate!
I agree, the M cars just do so much so well, kings at nothing but as an all round package they are very hard to beat.

Alfaian said:
Sorry to hear that joe.

I can understand if it's not for you etc but you can't really compare a 911 to anything as they are in a class all on its own.

I'm not comparing them as such mate, as they are completely different price points and markets. The 911 just doesn't excite me enough for a £50k car, whereas the M2 is a great deal of fun at much lower speeds which suits me a lot more.

This car is great in the corners, but part of the problem for me is it just handles so well and deals with everything in it's stride, I want a bit more of a handful to drive as mad as that may sound to some.

JoePeps said:
Boba fett said:

I always enjoy your posts on cutters mate!
I agree, the M cars just do so much so well, kings at nothing but as an all round package they are very hard to beat.

Yep Jack of all trades masters of none.

Cutters is great, some sensitive types on there though :thumb:

JoePeps said:
Alfaian said:
Sorry to hear that joe.

I'm not comparing them as such mate, as they are completely different price points and markets. The 911 just doesn't excite me enough for a £50k car, whereas the M2 is a great deal of fun at much lower speeds which suits me a lot more.

This car is great in the corners, but part of the problem for me is it just handles so well and deals with everything in it's stride, I want a bit more of a handful to drive as mad as that may sound to some.

Suly we all get this, even after having, and reviewed what I said about getting a Turbo.

My 997 Turbo makes driving at silly speeds so easy it can sometimes be its down fall. It will beat most things and fast bikes and I dont even have to try !! and if the back end does step out for a drift, you are driving like a **** and get it wrong you are finished.

Never been into bmw's BUT feeling seriously curious on M3 V8 ...10/10 on the nascar noise and look almost as purposeful as a 997. I have had mine 10 months and like it but not love it. Engine noise (no pse) 6/10 rear 305 tyres way too noisey. Very mixed feelings on pdk (for the most part it is impressive tech but why o why in manual mode + throttle demand, does it auto down-shift and almost over rev the engine..seriously hate the intervention).

Can't get my head around how you can have an old pension windfall at age of 27. I must be senile at 57 :?

Nice looking car in that colour. 8)

adi7 said:
Never been into bmw's BUT feeling seriously curious on M3 V8 ...10/10 on the nascar noise and look almost as purposeful as a 997. I have had mine 10 months and like it but not love it. Engine noise (no pse) 6/10 rear 305 tyres way too noisey. Very mixed feelings on pdk (for the most part it is impressive tech but why o why in manual mode + throttle demand, does it auto down-shift and almost over rev the engine..seriously hate the intervention).

I have to say Nascar noise on the M3 V8 with the exhaust mod is
spot on.

I have had some nice noises

M5 V10 with exhust mod
RS4 B7 with Milteck
SL55 AMG F1 with resonators removed
RB26DETT
Evo's, STI's..

The V8 M3 is loverly !!

My favourite colour/wheel combo. I hope you don't get sellers remorse. Looks like a lovely car.

Boba fett said:
adi7 said:

I have to say Nascar noise on the M3 V8 with the exhaust mod is
spot on.

I have had some nice noises

M5 V10 with exhust mod
RS4 B7 with Milteck
SL55 AMG F1 with resonators removed
RB26DETT
Evo's, STI's..

The V8 M3 is loverly !!

The only car that ai have driven or owned which sounded like a NASCAR was an Aston Martin V8 Vantage which I bought new and owned fir a few years.
The only problem was it probably cost me £50 in depreciation every time I Blipper the throttle. Between that and the V12 Vantage it nearly forced me into bankruptcy :grin:

Nearly bought an M2 as a daily driver but decided on a new M4 competition pack instead.

Apart from the performance the interior or the M2 felt a bit low rent in comparisment to the nappa leather and carbon in my M4

However if you have decided on getting an M2, make sure that you get the LCI model which should be appearing within the next 6 months

Bikeracer1098 said:
Nearly bought an M2 as a daily driver but decided on a new M4 competition pack instead.

Apart from the performance the interior or the M2 felt a bit low rent in comparisment to the nappa leather and carbon in my M4

Thats a loverly M4 Rich, even the 666 wheels in black look the bomb !! :thumb:

Thanks Lee :thumb:

1200mile run in service next week, so will see how it compares to the turbo afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back