Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service history question

jboy

Silverstone
Hi all. I have a receipt from an OPC among my history which states the 'intermediate shaft seal has been replaced'. Together with a major service and brake fluid change the work cost 1350 a few years ago. I assume this is NOT an IMS upgrade but something else entirely but would appreciate someone more knowledgable than I confirming! Many thanks.

infrasilver said:
The IMS seal is just as it says a seal, they are known to leak.

Thanks - that makes sense. Shame as a lot of labour involved (or charged anyway) in replacing the seal so would have made sense to have a look at other things whilst there I would have thought!

I assume they checked the bearing for wear and decided it didn't need changing, just the seal replacing as a precaution, or if it was leaking.

There is a school of thought that says if it isn't faulty then to leave well alone as the subsequent replacement Porsche IMS bearings (which they would have had to use) were apparently no better than the original ones.

Do remember that the vast majority (92%) of 2000-2005 996s never have a problem with the IMS bearing failing (although that 8% is still a lot of cars and a lot of vocal owners). If you car is pre-2000 then the dual row bearing used only fail 1% of the time.

You could always ring the OPC and ask them what they normally do in this situation?

OPCs will not touch the ims bearing and I doubt they'd check it either.

Replacing the ims bearing in situ is a cowboy money printer :grin:

infrasilver said:
Unless its demise is imminent?

At which point they'd fit a new engine.

Thanks all - I have a 12 month warranty that covers this sort of thing so will probably sit it out and take a view at expiry.

I doubt your warranty would cover a worn ims bearing.........IF you ever had one.

Trust me - forget about your ims bearing, you'vve nothing to worry about.

alex yates said:
I doubt your warranty would cover a worn ims bearing.........IF you ever had one.

Trust me - forget about your ims bearing, you'vve nothing to worry about.

It's the Portiacraft warranty - seems pretty all encompassing. Anyway, as you say, let's assume it's an academic question!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back