Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 997S-2005: Screeching noise from Engine

ajmclean

Hi,

I hope somebody will really help me as i don't know who to turn to.

There is really loud screeching noise coming from fly-wheel engine area. In my desperation i got it towed to a local garage. They said they isolated the engine by removing the gear box and then removed the timing belt and the nose was still there. They didn't remove the fly wheel.

I have upload the video of the noise looking from underneath the car on YouTube. Please have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E670UmV8CMw

I can really do with some advice.

Thanks in advance.

What model is it?

If they have removed the gearbox and run the engine they should at least be able to determine if the noise is coming from the flywheel or inside the engine? Does the garage you have taken it to have a good understanding of Porsche engines?

Its Carrera S 997 2005.

As soon as i heard the noise i took it to a nearest garage about 200meters away. They have all different types of cars new and old.

When i spoke to the mechanic he was not sure whether the noise is coming from fly wheel or inside engine. He insisted that he needs open up the engine.

One more thing i forget to mention this noise only comes 10min after a cold start.

Unless you know the garage I'd get it towed to your closest indi, where snouts are you?

Car is in NW London. This is my first Porsche and as much as i love driving it i don't know where to take it to fix my pride and joy.

Where are you based normally? if your new to the forum my advice become a regular you learn all sorts and it enhances the enjoyment of the car/brand.

Interesting that the noise continues one the engine has stopped rotating. This would make me think its either an ancillary which is still moving once the crankshaft has stopped or more worryingly its something moving whilst operation under compression.

I think id be inclined to remove the plugs and see if the engine can be turned by hand (it should be) If there is resistance then I suggest a look down the bores...

Sorry I cant be more help but I think its going to be nasty, heart goes out to you bud.

Starter motor not disengaging properly? Had this problem on a previous car which gave a horrid squeal... although it was related to engine speed.

Look at Matt of Porschacare, he is the Indy I use and exceptional. He was head mechanic at Portiacraft for 15 years or so, now out on his own. I live in hertford and he is Welwyn Garden City area, so a short trip up the A1.

be careful about running the car, might be something serious!

I'd say bearing, especially as it's starting when the engine is hottest and expanded.

Obviously it's clutching at straws, there's not much lot more to add without being present on site.

Fingers crossed it's identified and is an easy fix :thumb:

Ok .. my 2 pennys worth .. the noise continues AFTER the crank shaft has stopped moveing .. so no idler pullys , no water pump bearing .. nothing mechanical thats moveing basically ...

Its air .. probably the AOS .. if was a gen 2 then its definitely that as ive herd it on one of those before .

Get them to remove the oil cap when the noise happens or blank off the AOS pipes as that will prove it .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back