Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic S gearbox

Allan E

Can anyone confirm whether not the Tiptronic S gearbox was fitted to Japanese cars only. I am not aware, what if any difference, there is between the S box and a standard 4 speed Tiptronic. :?:

I thought the S meant it had steering wheel controls?

My car is ME spec and a Tiptronic S which has buttons on the steering wheel.

ATB :)

Attachments

• steering_wheel_401.jpg
    steering_wheel_401.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 5,785
My understanding was that the early cars had Tiptronic - gear stick only but later cars had Tiptronic S - buttons on steering wheel.

Jack Frost said:
My understanding was that the early cars had Tiptronic - gear stick only but later cars had Tiptronic S - buttons on steering wheel.

+1

Jack Frost said:

Not sure this is correct as my very early car built in November 93 is a Tiptronic S and has steering wheel buttons.
The Certificate of Authenticity also says Tiptronic S

My 96 993 has finger tip controls.

Paul Stevens is showing a 94 993 for sale without finger tip controls. Is one without valued a little less?

Mike

Four-Speed Triptronic S ( automatic ) transmisdion types

Transmission type -A50-04
Model year(s) -1994 to 1998
Model application - Carrera Coupà¨, Carrera Cabriolet, Targra
Markets - RoW except Japan

Transmission type -A50-05
Model year(s) -1994 to 1998
Model application -Carrera Coupà¨, Carrera Cabriolet, Targra
Markets - USA & Taiwan

Thanks, very informative, just the facts I was looking for.

So can you have a Carrera S Tiptronic S. (a wide body auto).

mashby said:
Jack Frost said:

Not sure this is correct as my very early car built in November 93 is a Tiptronic S and has steering wheel buttons.
The Certificate of Authenticity also says Tiptronic S

Hmmmmmm. 1995 Model year was the introduction of the Tiptronic S gearbox, i.e. with the steering wheel buttons. So I'd be seriously checking again, it's either a ***** up or you have a very special 993 :thumb:

wozy said:
Hmmmmmm. 1995 Model year was the introduction of the Tiptronic S gearbox, i.e. with the steering wheel buttons. So I'd be seriously checking again, it's either a ***** up or you have a very special 993 :thumb:

Not sure what you mean by seriously checking again. Last I looked it still had steering wheel buttons :floor:

Here's a photo of the certificate of authenticity which gives build date of 10 Nov 93 and also shows Tiptronic S gearbox as optional equipment.

Attachments

• 20170627_193937_375.jpg
    20170627_193937_375.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 5,130
mashby said:
wozy said:

Not sure what you mean by seriously checking again. Last I looked it still had steering wheel buttons :floor:

Here's a photo of the certificate of authenticity which gives build date of 10 Nov 93 and also shows Tiptronic S gearbox as optional equipment.

According to all sources I've come across, the Tiptronic S was not available until to model year 1995 (August/September 1994 build onwards). Google it, ask Porsche and/or check the following:

From the great late Paul Frere book on the 911........ Seventh addition Page 147

Or

Adrian Streathers book based solely on the 993 model (page 222).

Like I've already stated, you must have a very special early 993 if no one has heard of one before. It's worth zillions :) :thumb:

EDIT> SORRY, NO IDEA WHY THE PHOTOS ON A DESKTOP ARE SIDEWAYS. THEY ARE CORRECT ON MY PHONE> :frustrated:

Attachments

• img_6244_981.jpg
    img_6244_981.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 5,094
  • img_6246_162.jpg
    img_6246_162.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 5,072
Thats better :grin:

Attachments

• porsche_streather_481.jpg
    porsche_streather_481.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 5,010
  • porsche_frere_344.jpg
    porsche_frere_344.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5,010
mashby said:

Why would anybody get a certificate of authenticity for a 993? I've never seen one before and always thought they were for much older cars where the history could have been lost in the mists of time.

If I was buying a 993 and the vendor produced a Porsche CoA to validate it was what it purported to be it would just make me suspicious as to why it even needed one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back