Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Horrible Bad Timing - Gearbox help please

askgeez

Albert Park
Can't quite believe my sh!tty luck. My brother has paid me for my car and two days later the gearbox has started crunching.
Bit of research and seems 2nd gear synchro is a well known issue?? There's me thinking only bore score needed to keep me awake these last 2 years

So now we need to get it fixed.
Not picked up GTS yet... so though I could be a bit sly and trade the car in to OPC for the GTS , it doesn't sit well with me. Even though he has already told me it's going straight to auction...

He likes the car, and idea of a freshly built box and clutch & flywheel appeals...
We will split cost to repair.

Anyone got an idea of cost to rebuild box? I've seen this thread

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120843&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gearbox+rebuild&start=20

Call Mike at S&C, he really does know his stuff.

One thing to bear in mind here though, is there may be a difference between just clearing the issue and what else, whilst the 'box is out of the car, is worth tackling.

There's no individual, huge extra item lurking in there, but it's all £100, £200 or £300 odd bits of gears, syncros and bearings that, to put it back together in top fettle, are worth looking at. Obviously no one can tell until the thing is in bits.

Hi Guy, I've recently had my gearbox apart and have a fairly good understanding of these boxes now. Having the 2nd gear syncro issue isn't mileage dependant. One bad gear change and you can knacker the gearset. They are very expensive to fix as Porsche have a monopoly on the sale of Getrag components. I'll give you a call now mate ;)

For an idea on price, best give Mike a ring. I know he was mentioning a few weeks back that Porsche have put up the price of a lot of the gearbox parts.

His prices are for a box taken out and couriered to him on a pallette. If you drive it there and leave the car with him, it will be more as there is labour to remove and re-fit the box (which you'd pay a guy locally in your part of the world in any case).

If its already crunching and the issue is 2nd gear, then the car has been driven over a prolonged period with 2nd gear pop-out. Its innocuous at first. But ignore it and it wears out the synchro and then starts crunching and grating and this gets so bad that it wont select 2nd gear at all and people go 1st - 3rd and 3rd to 1st. So I suspect there will be wear and tear elsewhere.
You dont mention mileage. At around 70-80k mileage the pinion bearing may be shot - Mike will explain.

If the pinion is OK I'd estimate the 2nd gear repair with Mike will set you back £4k give or take a couple of hundred quid - but Mike is the best person to advise you.

Its pretty common judging by how many gearbox repairs I see at his place when I pop round for a chat and coffee.

Thanks All

Spoke to Mike today ,got a quote. Provisional booking for next month .

Came to an arrangement with my brother... Let's say he's done well..
:sad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back