Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 aero kit codes

eko

Trainee
I've been sent some details of a car I've seen for sale and was hoping someone can help me with the codes for aero kit and rear wiper.

Only codes I can see on the sticker are C18, 424, 454, 490 and I think G50.

Does this mean the aero kit must have been fitted aftermarket, or could there be another reason?

Also, was the rear wiper standard or should that also be listed?

Appreciate any help that can be given, the car's a fair distance away from me.

Hi Eko,
Option code for full Aerokit is XAA and should be on the sticker.
Rear wiper standard on Carreras. That's how it's easy to spot a GT3 "wish it was" from behind. :wink:

The C code (C18) is the country of origin. C18 is Japan RHD though so check that is definitely correct. If so it's an import. Could you have misread it and it's C16? C16 is UK.

When we go into my cars Ecu data it says it's a Switzerland car, yet I know it's a U.K. car from a U.K. dealer, so obviously a lazy technician logged it when it was new.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

Edited to add. If no XAA then kit wasn't factory fitted. No biggie as it isn't rocket science to fit the kit but you want the parts to be genuine Porsche ideally.

Marky911 said:
If no XAA then kit wasn't factory fitted.

Not necessarily. Porsche bundled options under its Exclusive programme - option code 09981 "Vehicle transfers to VRS for the installation of Exclusive parts." There seem to be quite a few examples of Porsches with this code with options fitted by the factory but with no corresponding option code - mine included.

I have still yet to ascertain what VRS stands for though!

Aha. Fair do's then Fastlane. I only know of the XAA for full kit but I stand corrected then.

I know there are variations of the XA_ code for parts of the kit too but standard code for full kit is XAA.

Your 09981 code is exclusive program as you say, also called "Special wishes" or "Sonderwunsch" in German. I guess that's the S in VRS?

Marky911 said:
When we go into my cars Ecu data it says it's a Switzerland car, yet I know it's a U.K. car from a U.K. dealer, so obviously a lazy technician logged it when it was new.

ALL 996s apparently have Switzerland coded as Country of Origin on their DME.

I don't know why but apparently it's a fact. Certainly both of mine were.

Ah right, thanks for mentioning that. Things like that secretly nag away at my OCD, even if I pretend I'm not bothered. :grin:

Cheers T8.

Marky911 said:
Hi Eko,
Option code for full Aerokit is XAA and should be on the sticker.
Rear wiper standard on Carreras. That's how it's easy to spot a GT3 "wish it was" from behind. :wink:

The C code (C18) is the country of origin. C18 is Japan RHD though so check that is definitely correct. If so it's an import. Could you have misread it and it's C16? C16 is UK.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

Edited to add. If no XAA then kit wasn't factory fitted. No biggie as it isn't rocket science to fit the kit but you want the parts to be genuine Porsche ideally.

Thank you for the information, very much appreciated.

If I were to remove the rear spoiler, do the know if what's listed on this ebay link is all that's required, or is there more to it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...1r4APq7yrPX9aCLNGVMrw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Fastlane said:
Marky911 said:

Not necessarily. Porsche bundled options under its Exclusive programme - option code 09981 "Vehicle transfers to VRS for the installation of Exclusive parts." There seem to be quite a few examples of Porsches with this code with options fitted by the factory but with no corresponding option code - mine included.

09991 or 09981 are internal logistics codes for Sonderwunsch/Exclusive options fitment (which may require removal from the production line, but mostly just alerts the parts bin logistics - ie car stays on line and Exclusive options make their way to it to be fitted)

If there is no option code (and the parts were not standard for that model), then it wasn't line fitted (ie after market - which includes dealer fit at PDI, which is the closest to factory fit, as the whole car is still covered by the factory warranty period)

Note: Exclusive options also includes cosmetics, so special order paint, stitching or other custom trim colour options will trigger a 09991/09981 code (so you need to cross check against full build and/or paint and trim codes vs model year colour options)

As per T8, all 996/997 UK are DME coded at C10 (which happens to be Switzerland) - this is just a curiosity.

To be determined if this continues for the 991 series.

GT4 said:
Fastlane said:
Marky911 said:

09991 or 09981 are internal logistics codes for Sonderwunsch/Exclusive options fitment (which may require removal from the production line, but mostly just alerts the parts bin logistics - ie car stays on line and Exclusive options make their way to it to be fitted)

If there is no option code (and the parts were not standard for that model), then it wasn't line fitted (ie after market - which includes dealer fit at PDI, which is the closest to factory fit, as the whole car is still covered by the factory warranty period)

Note: Exclusive options also includes cosmetics, so special order paint, stitching or other custom trim colour options will trigger a 09991/09981 code (so you need to cross check against full build and/or paint and trim codes vs model year colour options)

That is interesting. My car has the full Porsche manufactured Cup aerokit but no option code for it and the rare but "standard" colour of Zanzibar Red and a black interior. Here are the option codes:

- C16 - UK
- 030 - Sports suspension -10mm lower
- XLF - Sports exhaust system
- XRL - 18" Sport Design wheels
- X47 - Carbon gear lever knob
- X54 - Stainless steel tailpipes
- X58 - Carbon handbrake lever
- 139 - Seat heating, left
- 236 - Internal production code related to tyres
- 340 - Seat heating, right
- 375 - 2-way electrical sports seat, left
- 376 - 2-way electrical sports seat, right
- 424 - CD compartment
- 425 - Rear window wiper
- 436 - 3-spoke steering wheel
- 567 - Top-tinted windscreen
- 689 - Preparation for CD changer
- 695 - CD-radio Becker Porsche CDR-22
- 936 - Leather rear seats
- 981 - Leather dashboard and door panels
- 983 - Leather front seats
- 09981 - Vehicle transfers to VRS for the installation of exclusive parts
- 09991 - Manufacture from exclusive program

I understood from the PO that my car was one of a handful of cars that was created as a replica for the UK GT3 launch event, which took place in late 2000/early 2001 I believe. I believe Porsche UK sold their allocation as soon as the GT3 appeared and so didn't manage to get hold of any GT3s until late 2000 (all had to be registered by 1st January 2001).

When the PO rang Porsche GB, they said that Porsche took several cars off the production line and turned them into replicas and said they thought it was most likely one of those. I noticed another Zanzibar GT3 "replica" has popped up for sale (for £27k) at John Holland and they confirm the launch event story - see the ad below. That car used to be owned by Veyron, a member on here.

http://www.johnhollandsales.co.uk/u...th-porsche-cd-c-changer-carbon-entry-guards./

My car was registered on 9th January 2001 and sold by JCT 600 in Leeds, the timing of which would again tie in with it being a launch event car, although it is C4 and the others I have seen are C2s.

So given the balance of probabilities, the PO assumed it was a factory fitted aerokit. Are you saying that that is not possible as there is no XAA option code and that it is most likely dealer fitted?

Either way, I would love to know definitively if mine is one of those launch cars!

The full build spec (which should match the summary VIL, for relevant cost options), is the car's "recipe".

If it isn't on there, it isn't on the production line supply and build list, and unless it's a mis-build (unlikely for something so "macroscopic" as a fully painted body kit!), it won't have turned up to join the moving line and it won't be a factory fit item.

But many cars of that era were post-factory fitted (dealer fitted or third party) with aero (SportsDesign XAA or Carrera XAE), in response to the lovely (late arrival) GT3

Full build spec sheet is available via a VIN decoder (active PET licence holder), or any OPC or Porsche GB Customer Services

My take, as long as the aero kit is genuine Porsche with all the part numbers in the right places, few will care if it s factory or dealer fitted.

Exactly.

The parts will all be stamped with PN and the "triangle P" genuine part stamp.

Easiest to assess is the underside of the rear decklid.

crash7 said:
My take, as long as the aero kit is genuine Porsche with all the part numbers in the right places, few will care if it s factory or dealer fitted.

I appreciate that (the part numbers are there) it is just nice to have the provenance, for my own sake. It is all part of owning a Porsche!

PS - if it wasn't clear from my previous description, any of these:

XLF - Sports exhaust system
XRL - 18" Sport Design wheels
X47 - Carbon gear lever knob
X54 - Stainless steel tailpipes
X58 - Carbon handbrake lever

Will trigger 09991/09981 code

GT4 said:
PS - if it wasn't clear from my previous description, any of these:

XLF - Sports exhaust system
XRL - 18" Sport Design wheels
X47 - Carbon gear lever knob
X54 - Stainless steel tailpipes
X58 - Carbon handbrake lever

Will trigger 09991/09981 code

Thank you - all clear! One more question, what is the difference between the 91 and the 81 code?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back