Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 c2 project

NineExcellence

So sure there will be some interest in sections of this project.

Essentially given a 140k mileage 996 c2. Sound car, good compression, no scoring etc. Goal - want to be able to track it and have fun, but still need to drive it on the road.

Car needed a fair bit of generally maintenance first like radiators, starter motor, actually quite a list, but let's get to the interesting parts.

Suspension
1. Ohlins
2. RSS Adjustable LCAs
3. RSS Rear toe steer kit with locking
4. H&R Arbs
5. All new top mounts
6. Few other general parts

Transmission
1. LWFW - only weighs 6.5kg instead of 13.5kg
2. Upgraded clutch
3. LSD

Brakes
1. Stock calipers are fine for track usage
2. Girodiscs - fronts are 340mm (stock 317mm) Rears 325mm (stock 298mm)
3. Braided Lines, SRF, Pagid29 pads
4. Increased brake ducting

Engine
1. Better oil pan for track usage
2. Larger intake and plenum
3. Full Kline system with 200 cells and Kline Manifolds.
4. Tuning by us

At the moment, we are just waiting on the exhaust and intakes, and then we do the tuning.

Will update with results.

Attachments

• brake_sump_arb_116.jpg
    brake_sump_arb_116.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 8,580
  • flywheelv4_190.jpg
    flywheelv4_190.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 8,580
  • flywheelv3_185.jpg
    flywheelv3_185.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8,580
  • flywheelv2_213.jpg
    flywheelv2_213.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8,580
  • flywheel_190.jpg
    flywheel_190.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8,580
Sounds like a decent project.

Not seen the larger Girodisc kit before, any idea o a cost for the fronts?

Nice project Ken, will watch this thread with interest, those discs look huge against the old calipers and something I have planned but with mods to allow fitting of 6pot cayenne calipers.

Do you plan to decat the exhaust?

Noted your reference to mapping, are you able to do this on the 4wd cars with in house software? I will need to have my 3.9 build optimised once it's running.

:thumb:
Harv

Hi Ken, this is basically exactly what I did for my old C2 except with KWV3, M&M exhaust and EVOMSiT tune, everything else the same. Ended up being a lovely drive, very compliant, lots of poke and lovely sound. Look forward to your updates.

:thumb:

Nice project Ken,

When fitting the flywheel do you balance it with the clutch as one package?
I'd love to fit one at some point but I know they create imbalance/vibration that the M96 crank can do without.
Omcebi know they're safe to fit it will definitely be on my list.

Anyway, watching with interest. :popcorn:

Thanks Ken - pleased to see you've posted this... can't wait to get it back now and get cracking driving it!

Sorry guys for the intro this way - I'm a recent mover to the UK (from South Africa) and a long-time Porsche enthusiast. I've also owned a 964 RS, a boxster 986 S, a boxster 987 S, a 996 Carrera 3.6, a Panamera diesel, a 997.1 Carrera S, a Cayenne S and a 991 Carrera S.

I currently have a 2016 Cayenne diesel and a 2015 991.1 Carrera GTS (having brought the GTS with me in my move) - but having permanently emigrated here, I decided to get a more dedicated track car and one that I could also use for club events, etc.

I also have done some racing in SA and have won and participated in some of the local championships - so coming to the UK with its abundance of tracks and equipment is a dream come true... ! Most of this has been in FWD Polo Cup and Production Cars however and I'm keen to find a decent RWD series here to join (was thinking Ginetta?)

So, the 996 was an easy choice - To me they're fantastically under rated Porsches and easy to mod, relatively inexpensive and wonderful drivers cars! I found a reasonable one (2002 996.2 Carrera 3.6 in basalt black with black interior) and took a chance (I didnt do a PPI but did a lot of listening and driving to see what the issues might be). I also knew NineExcellence from this forum and a few others and knew there was only one place for me to take the car once it was mine!

Ken has been fantastic - always keeping me informed, trying to find the right deals for me and making quality and valued suggestions along the way. I'm looking really forward to getting this back now.

I will also try post some pictures of the car (and some of the others from the list above)

Cheers guys - hope to do a more formal intro when it's back in my hands!

Morning Ken

going to watch this with great interest.

Can i ask you why you chose the Kline system over everything else on the market; I like them a great deal and have the whole system on my short list for the future - but interested to know why you chose them.

:popcorn:

Osh

RyanT964 said:
Thanks Ken - pleased to see you've posted this... can't wait to get it back now and get cracking driving it!

Sorry guys for the intro this way - I'm a recent mover to the UK (from South Africa) and a long-time Porsche enthusiast. I've also owned a 964 RS, a boxster 986 S, a boxster 987 S, a 996 Carrera 3.6, a Panamera diesel, a 997.1 Carrera S, a Cayenne S and a 991 Carrera S.

I currently have a 2016 Cayenne diesel and a 2015 991.1 Carrera GTS (having brought the GTS with me in my move) - but having permanently emigrated here, I decided to get a more dedicated track car and one that I could also use for club events, etc.

I also have done some racing in SA and have won and participated in some of the local championships - so coming to the UK with its abundance of tracks and equipment is a dream come true... ! Most of this has been in FWD Polo Cup and Production Cars however and I'm keen to find a decent RWD series here to join (was thinking Ginetta?)

So, the 996 was an easy choice - To me they're fantastically under rated Porsches and easy to mod, relatively inexpensive and wonderful drivers cars! I found a reasonable one (2002 996.2 Carrera 3.6 in basalt black with black interior) and took a chance (I didnt do a PPI but did a lot of listening and driving to see what the issues might be). I also knew NineExcellence from this forum and a few others and knew there was only one place for me to take the car once it was mine!

Ken has been fantastic - always keeping me informed, trying to find the right deals for me and making quality and valued suggestions along the way. I'm looking really forward to getting this back now.

I will also try post some pictures of the car (and some of the others from the list above)

Cheers guys - hope to do a more formal intro when it's back in my hands!

Morning Ryan - what an impressive list of cars/Porkers; where are you based m8...??

Start a new thread and chuck some piccies up of all your previous and current porkers and get along to a local meet and say hello

Osh

RyanT964 said:
Sorry guys for the intro this way - I'm a recent mover to the UK (from South Africa) and a long-time Porsche enthusiast .........
........ Cheers guys - hope to do a more formal intro when it's back in my hands!

:lurk2: for 7 years !

Great to finally hear from you Ryan. A belated :welcome: to 911uk.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and to seeing loads of pics of your cars - past and present - . :thumb:

Final update - car completed

Hi,

So the full Kline exhaust system with headers turned up this week. The previous week we had done some work on the TB/Intake and finally this week able to tune the car.

I think it is worth pointing out that the LWFW makes a huge difference to how the engine responds initially and is a great benefit to the driving experience.

In terms of hp, prior to the change (stock car) made 281whp (315hp). You can see from the chart below that we picked up approx 20whp (25hp) on top. Actually it would be interesting to see top of the 4th gear as you can see near the end of the chart, once the shift from 3rd to 4th gear is made, it starts to climb up further into the 315whp range. A little immaterial, the car is night and day difference and I am sure Ryan will post his comments once he collects the car on Saturday.

It is fully set up for track usage. The differential works very well and the brakes as always from Giro are very reassuring.

Ken

Attachments

• 996_c2_exhaust_update_164.jpg
    996_c2_exhaust_update_164.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 7,783
  • vbox_dyno_996c2_164.jpg
    vbox_dyno_996c2_164.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 7,783
Ken,

Now you've gone and got me all excited!!!

Wow, that's quite a difference in whp? Those additional exhaust bits and tuning certainly make quite a difference (as I'm sure your general service did too).

Can't wait to try this out - saturday better roll on quickly!

Cheers,
Ryan

Osh said:
Morning Ken

going to watch this with great interest.

Can i ask you why you chose the Kline system over everything else on the market; I like them a great deal and have the whole system on my short list for the future - but interested to know why you chose them.

:popcorn:

Osh

Hi

Basically we have tried and tested most systems - setting aside the fact that imo exhausts are a personal preferences in terms of noise, customers generally want us to recommend. The great benefit apart from quality and price is that there is zero drone or resonance that we have found in most systems, and this is worse for tiptronic cars. The other benefit is that Kline exhausts are not shouty at idle or low rpm - to the majority we find that is what customers want - that is not to say that I don't like shouty exhausts either but most want the best of both worlds.

We also fit sharkwerks as well to a lot of cars.

These are generally the two manufactures that we recommend.

Hope that helps

Ken

RyanT964 said:
Ken,

Now you've gone and got me all excited!!!

Wow, that's quite a difference in whp? Those additional exhaust bits and tuning certainly make quite a difference (as I'm sure your general service did too).

Can't wait to try this out - saturday better roll on quickly!

Cheers,
Ryan

It will feel like a new car. Great alternative to a GT3 for track!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back