Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear quarter stone guards

CarreraMonkey

Mugello
Are they the same for the 997 carrera and c4s or does the latter have larger ones?

Fanx!

CarreraMonkey said:
Perfect! Thanks man!

Can I ask why your changing? Mine in the turbo are well marked and hold polish residue, it's a Pain to get off. Was thinking of changing mine, is it easy to do?

Just fancy putting black ones on.

The clear ones do tend to get grubby around the edges from polish etc.

The body shop,painting my wheels will remove the old ones and put the new ones on. I'm told that they're not easy to do, but can't comment really,

I just pulled mine off. It looked like a dog had done a massive waz on each side. I won't be replacing them. They look crap. It would be better to wrap the whole panel in clear vinyl. And the front end for that matter.

Instead, I took a different route and decided to get the superhard ceramic coating from Feynlab Dubai, and so far, so good. Not a single chip. Even from one stone that was so large, I was sure it would actually pierce the bonnet!

MaxA said:
I just pulled mine off. It looked like a dog had done a massive waz on each side. I won't be replacing them. They look crap. It would be better to wrap the whole panel in clear vinyl. And the front end for that matter.

Instead, I took a different route and decided to get the superhard ceramic coating from Feynlab Dubai, and so far, so good. Not a single chip. Even from one stone that was so large, I was sure it would actually pierce the bonnet!

Mine are looking tied, I might just remove them, no real signs of stone chips, just gone yellowish and polish stained.

I didn't replace mine on the 993 after respray and few months of 'local' driving all was good - 4 days on the NC500 route and I really regretted not replacing them :sad:

Depends on where you drive :?:

I have quite nasty road rash on the flared section of the rear wing that these stone guards would have protected against! I know you can get carbon effect ones which might look ok on dark car, anyone seen these? Wondering if the would look cheap!!

ColinC said:
I didn't replace mine on the 993 after respray and few months of 'local' driving all was good - 4 days on the NC500 route and I really regretted not replacing them :sad:

Depends on where you drive :?:

Agreed. I thought that it would all be smooth tarmac out here but it turns out that there's a fair bit of construction and road damage (both from floods and heavy lorries), so there are plenty of stones on the roads. And then all the desert rats with chunky tyres coming back out of the desert, throwing off some pretty big pieces. Thank you, Mr Fat Bastard in Big Boy Black 6" Lift Ford F-150 4x4 Raptor with SuperMaxFuckRightOffKnobbly tyre dude. That one actually made me duck...

Like I said, though, the ceramic coating seems to work. So far at least.

There not that hard to replace if anyone wants to have a go ..

Remove old foil and clean the area .

have a bottle of soapy water and spray the panel .

Put stone guard in place and it will slide around so you can position it.

Use a credit card , any card .. flat bit of plastic :dont know: and slide across the guard to push out water and air bubbles .. keep doing this untill it stops moveing around ..

Make sure all the air bubbles are out ..

Bit of masking tape just to hold in place and leave to dry.

Then after a few hours you come back to it and realise its full of bubbles .. looks crap and you rip it off and pay someone to do it :D

I replaced mine, avoid touching the contact side wherever possible, as sail lots of water with some car shampoo, position them and squeegee out the bubbles working from the middle out.
Some small bubbles may still be present but will eventually disappear.

Six months after buying my 997GTS new in 2011, my clear stone guards were turning yellow!

I had them replaced by the OPC for black ones. Never had a problem since!

Attachments

• p1000212_medium_179.jpg
    p1000212_medium_179.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 3,968

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back