Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

3point6
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. There may be a good few cars on the market, but when you actually scrutinise them one by one they all fall short in some respect or another (history, number of owners, miles, spec, condition, colour, story, seller)..there really isn't many to choose from!

Maybe didn't get the colour I wanted but I think I found the right one. thumbsup Exciting times!

Jibaro
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3point6 wrote:
After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. Exciting times!

So what did you go for in the end, 997 or 996? Spill the beans Very Happy

911TEL
Imola

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
apollokre1d wrote:
adamw wrote:
As ragpicker has said it would be interesting to see response in 997 forum!!

Sadly we are all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about which is better out of the 997.2 DFI PDK and the 997.1 mezger manual Smile

Floor

Meanwhile us sixers are just driving our cars and admiring the ever so pretty headlights when washing the mullered flies off Grin

MY '11 997.2 VVTG S DFI PDK .........

I would venture my humble opinion that the 997.2 is the best looking Iteration from ALL angles , it is just cohesive and no flaws to pick at , weakest point is the cabin .... where just so much more could have been done .... I like it but it could have been developed better.....
Headlight revision on the 997 was perfect...
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

3point6
Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jibaro wrote:
3point6 wrote:
After a long and lonely search, I think I have found a worthy replacement car. Exciting times!

So what did you go for in the end, 997 or 996? Spill the beans Very Happy

Well, seeing as I want to drive it and not look at it, I am buying a 6T Cool

A really clean low mileage car (under 40k) with full OPC records.. for the same money I could buy very reasonable 7T. Astonishing how the prices have moved on.. a really nice 6T is the same money as a decent 7T.

New997buyer
Dijon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragpicker wrote:

I recently drove my friends absolutely lovely, very low mile, standard 997 turbo in my favourite colour.

Eh! eh! I thought you were away a suspiciously long time for someone who'd asked to 'see what it was like to sit in'...... wack

Wink

I completely get where you're coming from OP. I only changed from a '6 to a '7.1 as mine is my daily and was nearing 90k miles. A few more miles and the value might have plummeted. Another '6 wasn't really an option, as I'd be paying out a hefty premium and hunting for a car as well maintained as what I had for the same experience. Spending on tuning was money I'd not get back. So a added a bit extra to my budget and swapped my '6 for a '7.1.

The first few miles made me worry I'd made a bad move. The difference just wasn't that great to justify the extra spend and I suffered pretty bad buyers remorse. That was 11,000 miles ago (or 6 months) and that remorse has gone. 3,000 of those miles have been done in France, Germany and Belgium and I've really grown to love the '7.1.

But.........

The sight of Ragpicker and LoFi's '6 on the road and their pace (especially Pearl) during these Eurotrips reminds me that the differences are remarkably slim. In other words if I hadn't had to change then I don't think I would have done.

That's how monumentally good the '6 platform was, right out of the box worship

Diggermeister
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I sold my 996 turbo, it would only be in order to buy a 997 GT3 and, I fear I may already be spoiled rotten by the boost, given mine's mapped to about 500bhp.

A mate has a 997GT2 and remarks on how driving GT3s is nice, but lacking in acceleration drama - boostless.

I'm worried, that the lack of grunt might make me regret any such change. PLus, given the turbo's excellent all-weather manners, and the higher value of the car, would I use it as much and can (therefore) I justify the cost?

It's easy to forget how good the 996/7 turbo is. They are constantly overlooked in favour of the GT cars but, in truth, they're also great on track. Yet, the way people talk about turbos, you'd think they were useless, lardy creations, with no ability on circuit.

apollokre1d
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggermeister wrote:
If I sold my 996 turbo, it would only be in order to buy a 997 GT3 and, I fear I may already be spoiled rotten by the boost, given mine's mapped to about 500bhp.

A mate has a 997GT2 and remarks on how driving GT3s is nice, but lacking in acceleration drama - boostless.

I'm worried, that the lack of grunt might make me regret any such change. PLus, given the turbo's excellent all-weather manners, and the higher value of the car, would I use it as much and can (therefore) I justify the cost?

It's easy to forget how good the 996/7 turbo is. They are constantly overlooked in favour of the GT cars but, in truth, they're also great on track. Yet, the way people talk about turbos, you'd think they were useless, lardy creations, with no ability on circuit.

Right you are, in the hands of a good driver a turbo can keep up or ahead of a GT3.

Open Youtube Page

Diggermeister
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Diggermeister wrote:

Right you are, in the hands of a good driver a turbo can keep up or ahead of a GT3.

Open Youtube Page
Not even, necessarily a good driver. I passed a 991 GT3 and a Cayman GT4 on the same lap at the Nurburgring. Dont know

apollokre1d
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking anything away from you but maybe they were just average.. like me Smile

New997buyer
Dijon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Not taking anything away from you but maybe they were just average.. like me Smile

No, I'M average! Laughing

Grin thumbsup

apollokre1d
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is plenty of space for us both to be average Smile

Diggermeister
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Ha ha. Kind of what I meant in my comment.

In any case passing car, or allowing cars past on track is as much to do with the driver as the car, as you say. And even good drivers have warming up/cooling down laps.

Embarrassingly, I eased off after overtaking, because I hit something slippy on the track and was immediately unsure the reason or extent of the spill - discretion is the better part of valour - and, indeed, on the next lap the red and yellow flags were being waved earlier in the lap and someone did come off. This meant I had to re-overtake down Dottinger Hohe.

Open Youtube Page

Nastymatt
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Diggermeister wrote:

Open Youtube Page

That turbo blasts out of the corners! Just goes to show how much a GT3 must make up by going faster in the wiggly bits to make up for the pure horsepower.

Don't get me wrong - I love GT3's (and obviously turbos) so this is not an anti GT3 post just an observation on how different the cars are.

Replacing that kick in the back from a decent bit of lag is tough to do. Call me old skool but I do like a bit of.. wait... wait... wait.. BANG you get from older turbo cars. Mate has a 991t s and you'd be hard pressed to spot any lag - as a passenger feels nearly like an NA car. Technically an amazing piece of kit and having seen the gen 2 turbos launching (sub 3s 0-60) I'd struggle not to buy one.

apollokre1d
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nastymatt wrote:
Technically an amazing piece of kit and having seen the gen 2 turbos launching (sub 3s 0-60) I'd struggle not to buy one.

I think the 991 TurboS and 991 GT3RS lap Anglesey circuit at the exact same time.

Diggermeister
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, when it's wet, the 4WD of the turbo really comes into play. Then - and this certainly refers to my video - if you consider a turbo (like mine) running on PS" tyres, versus a GT3 or GT4 running on Cups, there can be a large discrepancy in the amount of skill required and grip available.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: