Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at a 997 turbo tip or manual help please

mzmini

My darling wife has suggested that a 997 turbo may be a good choice for an upgrade (well trained or what :D ) later this year and is scouring the web for one ,I know that T8 Terry has the tip gearbox option and swears by it .I have driven a 3.8 C2S with a tip box and I really disliked it, but understand that the turbo application is better can any one explain why :dont know: . The manual box would appear to command a premium , are they worth the extra cash and a gen 1 or gen 2car :dont know:
cheers
MZ :thumb:

If I was buying today... I would want a Gen1 car with a manual (yes it is worth the premium) or the Gen2 car with PDK :)

Personally and I don't know your budget, I would have a Gen 2 PDK. Prices of these have gone mad since March and really good ones with low miles and one or two owners are £70 to £80k, whereas in March I missed a really nice Black Gen 2 with 2 owners for £62k

If it's a Gen 1 and again budget aside I would buy a manual with 40-50k and expect to pay about £55k upwards.

RSJ have a few decent cars and there's a manual 997-1 for sale in Aberdeen in my favourite colour, Met Blue.

MZ. The only way to answer you're question is to drive one yourself to see how it suits you.

The power delivery of a Turbo is very different to a Carrera so your previous experience is only partly valid. Off boost the Turbo relies on torque whereas the C cars thrive on revs. The in-gear flexibility of the Turbo cars - especially with the VTGs of the 997- lends itself perfectly to the automatic set up.

On-boost I'd need to be a far better driver than I am to hang on to the car as safely as I can with both hands on the wheel at all times and the idea of gunning one from a standstill and not over-revving it makes me wince.

Did you drive the C2S in 'M'? If not you only experienced part of the Tiptronic experience.

NB: The reason the manual is dearer is die to supply v demand. Most buyers of the cars new spec'd the Tiptronic box so there's far more of them around. Many subsequent buyers seem to think that manuals are the only ones to have and are happy to pay a premium. This makes the Tip cars fantastic value-for-money and keeps us Tip' fans smiling.

CarreraMonkey said:
Anything with a pdk gearbox should be 1st choice!

................. IF you've got the significant extra budget required.

CarreraMonkey said:

Yeah PDK....

Attachments

• img_6070_137.jpg
    img_6070_137.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 4,790
Again everyone will tell you, get what they got.

Go drive them, you will know which one you will want, there is no wrong or right

"Mezger manual"

What, Tut I did it again - been diagnosed with Mezger tourettes !!

Boba fett said:
Again everyone will tell you, get what they got.
Sometimes having driven both they will tell you what they prefer too.

Boba fett said:
Go drive them, you will know which one you will want, there is no wrong or right

Agreed.

Only my ten peneth.
I went from a 968 tip to a 996 C2 man to a 997 4S man but don't laugh I missed the tip box and my Porsches had become the norm and not special to the point where I stopped visiting this site and cancelled my Porsche GB membership. I started to look for something else and my local indi had a 50k miles and price GEN 1 turbo manual coming in, it was a well known car and the indi had bought and sold it twice in the past. I'd never driven a turbo before and wow what a car! But it was the same as my 4s inside and I still wanted to try a tip. This time last year £50k for a 50k miles manual turbo seemed a good price. I wanted a megzer (only cos boba said) but I wanted the more modern pcm3 so a 1.5 was the only car for me and I stress for me!

As soon as I found my 2009 tip box and floored it I knew this was the car!

It takes time driving round dealers and trying cars but they are so different you need to try them!! Great choice to have though!!! Good luck

silvermilnec said:
Only my ten peneth.
I went from a 968 tip to a 996 C2 man to a 997 4S man but don't laugh I missed the tip box and my Porsches had become the norm and not special to the point where I stopped visiting this site and cancelled my Porsche GB membership. I started to look for something else and my local indi had a 50k miles and price GEN 1 turbo manual coming in, it was a well known car and the indi had bought and sold it twice in the past. I'd never driven a turbo before and wow what a car! But it was the same as my 4s inside and I still wanted to try a tip. This time last year £50k for a 50k miles manual turbo seemed a good price. I wanted a megzer (only cos boba said) but I wanted the more modern pcm3 so a 1.5 was the only car for me and I stress for me!

It takes time driving round dealers and trying cars but they are so different you need to try them!! Great choice to have though!!! Good luck

Its worth more than you paid for it now mate.

You have done well Id say :thumb:

T8 said:
MZ. The only way to answer you're question is to drive one yourself to see how it suits you.

The power delivery of a Turbo is very different to a Carrera so your previous experience is only partly valid. Off boost the Turbo relies on torque whereas the C cars thrive on revs. The in-gear flexibility of the Turbo cars - especially with the VTGs of the 997- lends itself perfectly to the automatic set up.

On-boost I'd need to be a far better driver than I am to hang on to the car as safely as I can with both hands on the wheel at all times and the idea of gunning one from a standstill and not over-revving it makes me wince.

Did you drive the C2S in 'M'? If not you only experienced part of the Tiptronic experience.

NB: The reason the manual is dearer is die to supply v demand. Most buyers of the cars new spec'd the Tiptronic box so there's far more of them around. Many subsequent buyers seem to think that manuals are the only ones to have and are happy to pay a premium. This makes the Tip cars fantastic value-for-money and keeps us Tip' fans smiling.

What he said :yeah:

Should have said last weekend and I'd have taken you out in mine. I'd have happily let you try it for yourself :thumb:

I covered 53k miles in a manual Carrera, did 46k miles in my '6 turbo tip and so far I've done 10k in my '7 turbo tip. T8's advice is spot on in terms of characteristics and buying advice. :thumbs:

Boba fett said:
silvermilnec said:
Only my ten peneth.

Its worth more than you paid for it now mate.

You have done well Id say :thumb:

Boba I'm happy I took your advice, the turbo just feels special! It's always nice not to loose money but to be honest I've never lost loads on porsches unlike my wife land rovers 😳😳

CarreraMonkey said:
apollokre1d said:
CarreraMonkey said:

Yeah PDK....

😀😀😀😀

I like that picture!
I agree the pdk in my mates is awesome far better than the tip but the difference in price was £10k and I couldn't force myself to do it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back