Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ims rms seal replacement

Kharri99

Hi.
I have just had rear springs replaced on my 07 boxster 2.7. While it was in I asked them to check for oil leaks as there was a few specks on my drive. They said the oil was coming from either the ims seal or rms seal. And need to drop the transmission. I have read a few thing about ims but not too much regarding the seal. Would you say this is a warning sign for other issues. The garage are getting back to me in a couple of days regarding prices for the work. But how many hours labour should I be looking to pay for the work and is there anything else that should be checked replaced at the same time. The car has 85k on clock

Looking at under 8 hours. Might want to have a new clutch fitted whilst the box is off, unless it's a tip. Get your ims bearing checked for play and have the outer seal removed from it so the engine oil lubricates it. Only have the bearing replaced if it's goosed. Have the leak fixed obviously and then that's about it.

Read here when I had mine done: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108552

Thanks for the reply sounds like a good idea I will speak to garage next week see what they say.

Can't change the bearing on a 2007 car without splitting the crankcase as the bearing used in MY 2006 onwards was a larger, more reliable bearing. If what I have read over the years is correct, the bearing in the OP's car is the most reliable so no point in replacing considering the amount of work.

Until the gearbox is off there is no way to ascertain whether the leak is a RMS seal or IMS seal. My IMS seal was changed by OPC on my 2005 Boxster approx 45k miles ago due to a slight seep.

Most people just live with the slight oil leak until the clutch needs changing - then just put new seals in for the price of the parts & minimal extra labour. Unless the oil is gushing out its possibly a waste of money changing the seals until the clutch needs doing. :thumb:

Ok that's interesting I will speak to garage and see if it was just weeping then. Would it be a case of just checking the oil levels regularly. I have only had the car 4 months and don't intend doing anymore than 2k a year in it so it maybe ok for a little while longer. As I said earlier just a few small spots have appeared over the past 4 months.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back