Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rusty disc brake

syvid

Trainee
Hi guys, Unfortunately due to a lack of garage, my c4s stays outside all the time and it suffers from rusty disc brake...Seems to be a very common issue. I know the trick is to avoid getting them wet etc but the reality is when your stays outside the all time there is not much you can do. Any tips?
I heard vinegar works well to get rid of rust but that probably meane removing the disc and letting them soaked...

I had rusty disks on my 996, so I took it out for a drive, they cleaned up very quickly and now all is well.

MC

The rust is due to the Iron content in the discs, the Iron makes the discs work better but the downside is that they look a bit shabby after a few days if the car gets wet and is not used.
Drive the car regularly, firm braking will clear the discs quickly and get their performance and bite back, most drivers won't use their brakes hard enough in daily driving so regular blasts are required - it's a 911 after all and you've now got an excuse to use it as intended!

This is easy, use it more. :D

Unfortunately mine has to live outside also so I made some wheel covers to cover wheels if i'm not using it for a while.
I used some aluminium/ plastic laminated sheet from a sign firm and cut it curved at top as per tyre radius, bottom sits on ground and use a strap with a spring toggle buckle (just pull tight, press to release) slip over tyre and over front of cover to secure them. Keeps most of rain off when windy, a minute to remove them. Clean wheels and no rust, also keeps Sun off tyres (if we get any). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back