Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramics or Steel

njlpg

So I have purchased a Turbo S (yes a real one) running on OEM Steel set up- they are fine and run excellent- they were put on whilst new ceramics discs were ordered from Germany.
Upon purchase I got the new Ceramics discs. So i'm thinking of putting the ceramics back on.

I don't use the car that much, so i'm thinking why not enjoy the ceramics?!! But at the same time I don't want them to get damaged in any way i.e crack....which is a pricey fix.

What are your thoughts?

BTW- I've posted here many times, however due to ID fraud i've had to change my details.

For road use I don't see much if any advantage with ceramic discs other than less brake dust, if you are doing track days then 100% ceramic, you need best brake set up you can have. So if it was me I would keep ceramic fresh as a good resale point when time comes.

Just fit the ceramics , don't believe all the crap you read about them cracking ..... they would stop an A380 never mind a 911......

911TEL said:
Just fit the ceramics , don't believe all the crap you read about them cracking ..... they would stop an A380 never mind a 911......

Fair point and you're probably right. But OP says he doesn't use it much. I heard they can 'stick' if dormant for months on end resulting in remortgage type repair/replacement costs. Might be bowlox though :dont know:

Hi
wave.gif

Can I play Devil's advocate here
sasmokin.gif

If you didn't want ceramics on it, then why did you buy an 'S'
blush2.gif

Don't be
rage_burstintoflames.gif

(Happy to swap if you want)
wink3.gif

Fair point- I basically bought it like this- a bit of a bargain at the time.
I've got a few other cars, and really bought this as a possible investment/ toy that i wouldnt lose money on.

The steels are fine for now, but putting ceramics back on would cost me 1500.00 with OPC inc labour and pads.
I'd then want to sell up the steels to someone to offset the cost a little.

diverzeusy said:
For road use I don't see much if any advantage with ceramic discs other than less brake dust, if you are doing track days then 100% ceramic, you need best brake set up you can have. So if it was me I would keep ceramic fresh as a good resale point when time comes.

I've heard of track users (people with new GT3's) changing their ceramics for steel due to the high replacement cost.

apollokre1d said:
diverzeusy said:

I've heard of track users (people with new GT3's) changing their ceramics for steel due to the high replacement cost.

If I was running a Turbo S on track, I think I would want to run two piece cryo-treated steel discs from Nitrac with something like aggressive carbon ceramic pads (XP8, XP10) from Carbotech, or perhaps Endless: huge stopping power at a more reasonable cost.

njlpg said:
Fair point- I basically bought it like this- a bit of a bargain at the time.
I've got a few other cars, and really bought this as a possible investment/ toy that i wouldnt lose money on.

The steels are fine for now, but putting ceramics back on would cost me 1500.00 with OPC inc labour and pads.
I'd then want to sell up the steels to someone to offset the cost a little.

I understand and to be honest, if it was me, I'd stick the ceramics away ready for resale time...especially if it's another £1500 to put them on again!!!

:thumb:

Don't forget steel discs are very prone to bad rusting if only used infrequently.

Another reason to use (and enjoy) the ceramics.

My understanding is that ceramics are great for the road due to the reduction in unsprung mass they ride better. While ceramics can take the heat for a while on track the wear rate particularly if PSM kicks in a lot will mean regular replacement just like steels.
Sharkworks and other tuners/racers recommend two piece steels with good pads, fluid and braided lines as they resist fade just as well but are much cheaper to replace as regularly as you will need even with ceramics.

Ferrari track addits recommend steels too for regular track work.

In the end it depends on the usage balance between track and road, what you can afford regularly and how aggressive you use the brakes when on track.

My ceramics are still like new after ~42K miles. They don't rust or stick after a period of being laid up, my car hasn't been used for 6 months on a couple of occasions and I've never had an issue with them. Perfect for the road, eye-popping power and pretty much zero brake dust.

Put them on and enjoy, steels will wear or rust away within a few years and your wheels will thank you for it.

Not putting them on is a bit like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to save her for the next bloke! :D

Sorry to be pedantic, but it`s really bugging me now, standard discs on all road cars are cast iron, not steel, as you were gentleman :thumbs:

I was involved with the development of aluminium discs in the past, but that is another story :grin:

kurlykris said:
Sorry to be pedantic, but it`s really bugging me now, standard discs on all road cars are cast iron, not steel, as you were gentleman :thumbs:

I was involved with the development of aluminium discs in the past, but that is another story :grin:
well spotted Kurly :thumb:
you tell em :dance: :boxer:

Martian said:
Not putting them on is a bit like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to save her for the next bloke! :D

:floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back