Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone moved from a Turbo to a C4S?

BlackTurbo

Silverstone
Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on whether anyone has moved from a 996 Turbo to a 996 C4S or maybe a 997 Non-Turbo.

As much as I love my car I can't help but think that due to me living in the city I rarely get to use the power available and have had thoughts on whether a C4S would be a better suited car for my situation. One thing that is a MUST though is that it would have to feel like an occasion when I drive it, as my Turbo is my second car and I only take the car out on the odd dry weekend.

I would welcome opinions as this is just something I am thinking about and I probably expect most people work up to a Turbo rather than going the other way round!

Beef40 (Nick) on here has just purchased a 996T to go alongside his 996 C4S so he's ideally placed to give you head-to-head comparisons between the two.

I went from a 996C4 to a 996T and then a 997T but if it wasn't for the Eurohoons I like going on I'd definitely go back to a NA car. Yes, you do lose the sense of occasion and the kudos associated with owning a turbo but the usable fun you can have on any UK road would make driving it more often, more enjoyable.

Having come from a background of mainly NA cars I think your are right there about 'usable' fun. If I did make the change it would have to be for one that has an aero kit or the like. Would be interested to hear Beef40's thoughts too.

BlackTurbo said:
Having come from a background of mainly NA cars I think your are right there about 'usable' fun. If I did make the change it would have to be for one that has an aero kit or the like. Would be interested to hear Beef40's thoughts too.

This one could be perfect for you considering your want for aero. Right colour too. Just have to change username to black4s :grin:
linky to lovely black 4s

I was very close to buying this recently when looking for my latest 911 but in my opinion the seller wanted to too close to turbo money (28k) which is what I eventially went for. I did post on hear about this car not so long ago but didn't disclose the car (http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120757)

He's reduced it now and I think it looks worth every penny with the work done and love the aggressive GT2 look..
Good luck :thumb:

adamw said:
BlackTurbo said:

This one could be perfect for you considering your want for aero. Right colour too. Just have to change to black4s :grin:
linky to lovely black 4s

I was very close to buying this recently when looking for my latest 911 but in my opinion the seller wanted to too close to turbo money (28k) which is what I eventially went for. I did post on hear about this car not so long ago but didn't disclose the car (http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=120757)

He's reduced it now and I think it looks worth every penny with the work done and love the aggressive GT2 look..
Good luck :thumb:

BlackC4S - doesnt have quite the same ring to it 8)

Yes I seen that one and given mine has the full GT2 styling also it would almost feel like getting back into the same car but without two turbo's! It has some great history and bonus of the rebuild but even at that price feels a bit strong for the mileage.

I think I may have to test drive a C4S and see how it 'feels' as I only do about 3k miles a year so it is important it does feel like an occasion to drive vs. the TT.

I went from a C4S to a turbo which is such amazing car. You won't reach or get anywhere near the limits on a C4S on normal roads anyway so I personally would not change.

BlackTurbo said:

I have had my Seal Grey 996 C4S since June 2014. Have covered c.17k miles in the last 3 years. Can't see me ever parting with her, cracking car to look at and drive. In my opinion the best looking 996 and arguably the finest rear end of any 911...

Purchased the 996TT on 6/5 so had a month to draw comparisons...

My C4S is manual with the short shift kit. Demands my full attention at all times. So, demanding and rewarding in equal measure. Feels more lively and nimble on the road compared to the Turbo. Sounds better too. I feel as though I have to work the C4S to extract the performance.

Turbo is easier and more relaxing to drive. Deliberately opted for a Tiptronic S box to provide a complete contrast to the C4S. And yet, when you put the hammer down, it simply flies... So, ultimately a much quicker car but less engaging.

The analogy I would use: -

C4S is a scalpel
Turbo is a sledgehammer

Both effective weapons but so so different...

I do plenty of runs out with PCGB and, on the last one, I took the Turbo. We had around 12 cars on the run, a real mixture of air-cooled and newer machinery but I was the only Turbo. Looking back, I got a tad frustrated that morning because I was unable to use the Turbo's performance and therefore I did not enjoy the drive as much as I would have done in the C4S...

The Turbo's punch is as addictive as the C4S' looks / sound / demanding nature.

In a nutshell, I love them both and they're both excellent cars.

Next on the shopping list is a 997 GT3 as and when funds allow. Now that will really test my love for and commitment to the C4S :?:

Hope this helps...

Beef40 said:
In my opinion the best looking 996 and arguably the finest rear end of any 911...

:agree:

BlackTurbo said:
One thing that is a MUST though is that it would have to feel like an occasion when I drive it, as my Turbo is my second car and I only take the car out on the odd dry weekend.

For that reason, I'd stick with the Turbo
teacher.gif

:thumb:

Thanks all for the insightful feedback.

I think I will try test drive a C4S and see how it compares. I suspect from what I am hearing that the sense of occasion may not be the same with the NA engine.

BlackTurbo said:
I suspect from what I am hearing that the sense of occasion may not be the same with the NA engine.

Losing 100 bhp (although changing to a lighter car) will nearly always have that effect. :grin:

"You can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but when conditions allow you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo".

Quote: T8 after coming back from a German tour -September 2016.

"You can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but when conditions allow you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo".

:floor: :floor: :floor: first time i've heard that!!

Turbo .

I agree with T8's one liner above.

I get the noise of N/A Porsches, but they have always been to slow for me and if can't use it where you live, move :thumb:

BlackTurbo said:

:floor: :floor: :floor: first time i've heard that!!

Love that quote and very true...

Turbo feels quicker and more potent off boost than the C4S...

adamw said:
BlackTurbo said:
This one could be perfect for you considering your want for aero. Right colour too. Just have to change username to black4s :grin:

Why on earth would the owner take the most characteristic and best looking feature off the car? The red stripe makes the C4S so attractive.

I was really lusting after a C4S but with the prices going totally crazy I've not looked back at all after going for a 997 instead.

tom_nieto said:
adamw said:
BlackTurbo said:

Why on earth would the owner take the most characteristic and best looking feature off the car? The red stripe makes the C4S so attractive.

I was really lusting after a C4S but with the prices going totally crazy I've not looked back at all after going for a 997 instead.

If you want aero (and OP said he did) you can't get much better looking on a 996.2 IMO.

Agree the red stripe is nice but think the aero and massive engine work makes up for this :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back