Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spacers - what sizes?

CarreraMonkey

Mugello
After seeing a tonne of cool cars at Beaulieu, I fancy fitting some spacers to push my wheels out a touch

It's a 997 c4s with 19" sport designs. Front tyre's are 235's and rears are 305's.

I was thinking 5mm spacers on the front and 15's on the rear, but being standard sized wheels I figure someone will have already done this and can confirm if I'm right or recommend alternatives.

Thanks.

I did 15mm rear and 9mm front. I think that 15mm all around, as some recommend, is not the way to go.

I did 15mm rear and 9mm front. I think that 15mm all around, as some recommend, is not the way to go.

Mini-Me said:

Why is that not the way to go ? plenty have done it on here.

5mm shims are really a waste of time on the standard car, then 7mm (and possibly 9mm) shims and using the same bolts, are on dodgy ground IMO, with around 4 turns going into the hub!!

Hubcentric is important.

Boba fett said:
Mini-Me said:

5mm shims are really a waste of time on the standard car, then 7mm (and possibly 9mm) shims and using the same bolts, are on dodgy ground IMO, with around 4 turns going into the hub!!

Hubcentric is important.

Ok, so who's got a picture of 7 or 9's on the front? I can get some longer studs, no big deal.

And also a picture of a car with 15's all round please. Thanks!

Boba fett said:
Mini-Me said:

Hubcentric is important.
I didn't use the standard bolts. There are plenty of various bolt lengths available.

I have 9mm hubcentrics on the front of my Turbo with longer bolts. I think 15mm spacers on the front are a bit too much for my liking. I went for 15mm on the rear. I personally think the 9mm and 15mm combination works well. :thumbs:

If I wanted the 'wider' look I'd go for 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers.

basildon993 said:
I have 9mm hubcentrics on the front of my Turbo with longer bolts. I think 15mm spacers on the front are a bit too much for my liking. I went for 15mm on the rear. I personally think the 9mm and 15mm combination works well. :thumbs:

In relation to the arch lips, where does that place the tyre face? Level with the lip or just inside them?

Any pics of your car?

I thought the standard answer was 7mm front and 15mm rear, with stock rims on a 997, but I found that 7mm shims caused terrible wheel wobble. I really needed the proper flanged spacers on the front, but they're very costly.

Instead of those, I test fitted the 12mm spacers that I had on the rear, and they were fine. So I ran 12mm all round.

With my new OZ rims, the 12mm are too much on the front, so I'm fitting Porsche Competition studs, and I'll try the 7mm shims again. It should be easier to locate the rims properly with the studs fitted. Easier than fooling around with wheel bolts.

I run 12mm all round. Think this looks perfect, I'm also lowered on Eibachs and run as much front negative camber as possible with standard lower arms, (-1 degree). With OE Porsche wheels I think 5mm at the front is just not enough. I had 9mm to begin with but then switched to 12mm at the front. At the rear I think 15mm would probably be best (although that's with a 295 tyre, not sure if a 305 maybe a touch too much :?: )

Should add front and rear tyres are just inside the lip of the wheel arches with the above spacers and camber I run.

Boba fett said:
Mini-Me said:

Hubcentric is important.

Agree re the 5mm shims, I fitted 5mm all round (like OEM stuff :) ) on mine and it's pointless...

Ok, get that 5mm is a waste of time and 15mm is good at the back, just need to understand if 7mm is sufficient and if 9mm is ok, then why not just go to 10mm after all, 1mm is negligable right?

Was thinking 12mm all round for wifes 2005 997 C2S but can't find any on eBay.

Any recommendations or links?

:thumb:

basildon993 said:

I was unaware of true hubcentric 9mm spacers, I think you will have shims that fit over the hub tightly. They do not have a built in lip for the wheel to re-sit on.

Having tried all the spacers and being a spacer queen, these are my findings:

Shims can give you wheel wobble and at best slight feedback. Its all to do with how much centre bore will be left with to centre your wheels on. (Porsche only make 5mm for this reason, and to be honest are a waste of time on OE wheels) They need to be centred and You need hubcentric. A 9mm shim will give you 2mm to centre your wheel on the hub and most wheels are chamfered.

You cannot run 20mm on the rear as in most cases dependant on tyre size and wall, you will arch out.

So in short you can run up to 15mm on the rear and 15mm on the front (12 is a good compromise on the front if you are that worried and you get true Hubcentric)

Now the choice is up to you.

Mini-Me said:
Boba fett said:
Mini-Me said:

Hubcentric is important.
I didn't use the standard bolts. There are plenty of various bolt lengths available.

That's fine but you did not answer my question, why is 15mm all round not the way to go ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back