Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A83 Tarbet to Lochgilphead

GP41

Nurburgring
Hi all,

Just looking for some guidance from those north of the border. I've an interesting little road trip coming up from Northern England and am particularly keen to know of any "interesting landmarks" that I might need to be aware of on this stretch of road????

Anything I need to look out for...?

TIA

fantastic part of Scotland on a sunny day :thumb: the first thing you will come across is the rest and be thankfull which many moons ago was a hillclimb and has recently been resurfaced to use as a diversion when the landslides occur in the winter there is a car park at the top of the hill to stop at and take some pics https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rest-and-Be-Thankful-Speed-Hill-Climb/103294949725809 then a good run to the end of loch fine where you will come across the loch fine oyster bar lovely (not cheap) cant miss it right next to main road.http://www.lochfyne.com/restaurant-oyster-bar Then its on to Inverary where you can pop in to see the duke of Argyll at Inverary castle. If you are looking for somewhere to stop for lunch the George hotel in the middle of Inverary next to the jail is a lovely place with good food. Then you have a lovely lochside run to lochgilphead.

If you fancy an alternative run back you can take the a816 to Oban and a nice run of the beating track to Crinan harbour for lunch or coffee then head to Oban-Glasgow

Enjoy

:agree:

Stopping at the George for fish and chips was a ritual for us when heading home. A shot from the car the last time I passed through Inverary.

Hope you enjoy your trip :thumbs:

As you travel up the side of Loch Lomond take the A817 Glen Fruin Road towards Faslane, it will take you away from Loch Lomonds scenic beauty but is one of the best driving roads in the area and a fantastic view of Faslane at the end. Then head for Arrochar along Loch Long - another great but narrow road so please be aware of oncoming traffic.

When you are heading for Inveraray from Arrochar over the Rest and be Thankful and past the Loch Fynne Oyster Bar (going there on Friday) be aware of 'tourists' with there 'cameras' which they will point at you and may stop you for a 'chat'.....they are always on this road as it's an accident blackspot for bikers.......enjoy👍

Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I'll take a look at the map tomorrow.

Looking forward to it now. I'll be travelling midweek when I go so hopefully not too many 'tourists' about... :D

When you are heading for Inveraray from Arrochar over the Rest and be Thankful and past the Loch Fynne Oyster Bar (going there on Friday) be aware of 'tourists' with there 'cameras' which they will point at you and may stop you for a 'chat'.....they are always on this road as it's an accident blackspot for bikers.......enjoy👍

:lol: :lol:

GP41 said:
Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I'll take a look at the map tomorrow.

Looking forward to it now. I'll be travelling midweek when I go so hopefully not too many 'tourists' about... :D

There is no good day for tourists there. Always fairly busy with Loch and Glen buses this time of year. Id avoid main Loch Lomond road where possible for that reason.

Just got back last night.

Cracking run. The road over to Faslane was superb. The run from Faslane up the loch side was bizarre. Like a half hour long roller coaster ride! The scenery is spectacular and the route from Arrochar all the way to Lochgilphead was fantastic. I was up there on business so didn't get much chance to stop off but would love to go back with more time.

From Lochgilphead we headed to Tallavullich Inn for evening meal, a quick trip round to Carsaig from there to catch the sunset over Jura and then up to a hostel on Loch Awe. Driving up the road up to Kilmartin across the raised seabed through the reeds with full beam on and bats ducking and diving back and forth was quite an experience!

Thanks again for all the great tips. If I get chance I'll put a couple of pics up.

My Mum and Dad loved Loch Awe and had a caravan right on the loch for years. Beautiful place. :thumbs:

GP41 said:
Just got back last night.

Cracking run. The road over to Faslane was superb. The run from Faslane up the loch side was bizarre. Like a half hour long roller coaster ride!

I knew you would enjoy it 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back