Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Surgery required following car cleaning incident

Steve Gom

Monza
After a great run out early on Sunday the car was smothered in bugs. So after lunch I set out to give the P&J the post blast wash off.
Having done the body I was about to start on the wheels when it started to rain.
As I'd just rolled the car out of the garage I tugged on one of the spokes on the front alloy to pull it back into the garage before it got wet. What I forgot about was the slight lip to the garage entrance which when the rear wheel met it caused the car to roll back, taking my fingers down into the recess with the caliper.
My ring finger from the knuckle to just below the nail bed is mullered. After 8 hours in A&E yesterday, at Wansbeck then Cramlington I'm off to see the hand surgeon at 10am today to repair one of the tendons and graft some skin back on. Note to self: don't move the car by pulling on the front wheel.

Very sorry to hear that. You aren't the first one on here to do that I'm afraid. I tend to push cars now by pushing on the top of the tyre. It gives better mechanical advantage than using the wheel and is hopefully safer too.

All the best for a speedy recovery.

MC

Ouch!! :eek:

Hope you're on the mend soon. :thumbs:

:useless:

Actually, for once, please don't :nurse:

Get well soon!

:thumb:

:yuk: :nurse:

Ouch! I hope you make a speedy recovery Steve. I always pull on my rear wheel, there's a bit more room. But I've almost done myself damage in similar ways over the years.

Hopefully there's no lasting damage anyway. :thumb:

Ooooo Steve....I was cringing as I was reading your post, sorry to hear you've been in the wars. Hope you recover soon. You'll have to sit back and admire her for a few days until you can :driving:

Double ouch! So easily done mate. Heat of the moment and all that. Hope you get well soon. If it's any consolation you're lucky you didn't rip your digit(s) clean off. But I'm sure you know that.

MC's method makes sense.

Thanks for sharing, we would be wise if we could learn from other's mistakes. I do hope you get well soon, and recover full use of your hand and fingers.

Pah, I had open heart surgery 2 months ago to remove a tumour from my right atrium.

OK, I was nowhere near my C4S at the time... :puh:

The only way to learn: the hard way.

Serious commiserations, Steve; get well soon, I hope.

Massive kudos for sharing your (painful) experience.

All the best for your recovery. I speak as someone who used to move my 993 a similar way & stopped when I thought this could go horribly wrong. Coincidentally I am currently recovering from some non-Porsche related surgery on my hand. The plastics docs will work wonders.

:eek: Ouch.

Thanks for sharing this warning to us all.

Oh, that sounds nasty. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Ouch. Get well soon, and thanks for the cautionary note- that is something I have done and got away with in the past!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back