Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeaky polyrib belt

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys, i just had the turbo serviced yesterday (minor) and also had a pipe changed which relates to the coolant. Anyhow when i picked it up yesterday, there was a loud squeaky coming from the engine (i had the polyrib belt changed), this squeaky disappear after maybe 30 seconds which the garage is putting down to some spilt coolant when he was in there. So far so good, however just moved the car this morning and the squeak is back. I only ran it for a few seconds just to reverse off the drive then pull on next to it so im guessing it would have gone away had i left the engine running but its quite loud. Im thinking its either a case of not all the coolant got worn off (not sure why it would stop after a certain time and come back) or its just a feature of a new belt bedding in. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Chris

How's the battery condition? a poor battery puts load on the alternator which can make the belt noisy on a cold start up, after a short run the battery gets up to a point where the load and noise go away, only to return after an overnight drop of the battery, you can prove it by starting it up with jump leads on and see if it still squeals.

I'm not sure, tbh last Tuesday when I started her up after not being run since Friday she was a bit sluggish to turnover and the battery level was quite low. I've not noticed anything since and the battery is a Bosch s5 that's only a couple of years old. I do use the car every weekday for work so it's get a good run.

Edit after having battery issues with my wife's car I bought a ctek and some jump leads (my dad had to jump her car, but his leads are approx 1m and I'm not kidding, it was bonnet to bonnet so I bought some 6m ones).

Give it a go with jump leads on after an overnight rest, Maybe check the voltage before and after connecting up, as when its running you will see charging voltage which is not representative of battery condition.

So an important update. I checked with a dvm first thing this morning and it showed 12.06V which the dash confirmed. It then squeaked all the way until the dash read 14v or so. Also I tried to do an oil check and that drops the voltage which makes the squeak come back temporarily. Any ideas on the cause. I'm guessing either battery or alternator. I take it that I'm OK running the car like this till I get it fixed?

Edit the bosch is an S5 and i bought it on the 8th September 2014 so do you think its that? I will try and measure the idle current draw across the battery to help narrow it down.

Edit #2. I gave ecp a quick ring and they suggested it could be the alternator, however I don't understand why this noise would go away (also wouldn't explain the drop in voltage overnight) he said the belt might even be lose but again surely that would be a continuous noise not one that disappears?

Just another update, I checked tonight and the draw was around 6A (I've never used my meter for this before so I assume I used the right socket, the 10a one. What's the correct way of checking the draw, I turned my fans and radio off. I guess I should disconnect all lights.

Am down to around 5 amps when reaching thru the window. Should I try and lock the car (will it let me if the bonnet is open?)

I,m a little confused here .. the problem is a squeeky belt for about 1 min from cold then dissapears ?

996 turbo do tend to suffer from this or shall we say ive herd it many times .

Any water / coolant on the belt will cause it , a quick spray of wd40 on the belt usually stops it and so proves its the belt slipping .

Last one i looked at had had alternator and all the idler pullys changed and still squeeked .. it was a slightly weak tensioner that was causeing it.

Not sure about the amperage you are trying to check but if you put an electrical load on then it will put a load on the alternator and so with a weak tensioner cause it to squeek more .

Im of the opinion that the belt stops makeing a noise as it gets warmed up so slipping or engine temp is what stops it hence its not constant .. similar to warming F1 tyres for grip i guess.

Anyways i would lean towards a weak drivebelt tensioner .. or i may just not have understood your post .. ive been on the go since 6am after all and still trying to fix these cars at 8pm lol .

Edit ..

For a battery discharge fault then the amp leads go between the negative lead and battery neg post , drop the bonnet catch then lock the car .. bonnet open .. then read off the amps on the meter after about 30 mins .. should be around the 40 milliamp amount .

Ill expalin that in detail if you want to do that .. just PM me .

I think i understand. I was checking with the car unlocked so i dont know what is different power draw wise compared to it being locked. So just a small squirt of MD40 on either side of the belt should cure it.

WD 40 on the belt will stop it but its not really a permanent fix .. sometimesbut not normally .. its just a way of proveing the belt is actually slipping and its not say a water pump noise or something else .

tensioner is what i expect but its pretty common for these cars to chirp for a bit when cold .. it depends on how keen you want to get on fixing it .. how much money basicaly .

I know it's not the water pump as that's only about 6 months old. I'm planning on taking it in on Sat morning to check it's tight. When I talked to the garage about he he wonder if it was the stickers just wearing in on the belt.

try putting your battery on charge overnight then see if it squeaks with a known good battery, if it's ok you've either got a tired battery or a power drain.

I'm taking it in on Sat morning to check the belt isn't a bit slack. I can't take it in any earlier anyway. It would behave sense as while the belt is slipping everything won't be running properly.

Rusty pulleys should be ruled out. Water drops through the slats on the bootlid and corrodes the pulleys.

Check also idler wheel is maintaining tension on the belt.

Squeaks from the belt are invariably mechanical rather than electrical in nature.

Just a quick update, had the belt changed yesterday and no squeak so far. He said the belt he used was 5mm longer than the original and I guess the tension was just at its Max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back