Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A/C questions

foldy

Hi,
This is by first post but been a stalker for about a year , I have a 57reg cayman s. I have done a search and a lot of information as been useful but there is also conflicting views and some info has been for different porsche models.
Couple of weeks ago I reaslised the a/c was working so took it to be regassed but it wouldn't hold pressure, so there was leak and the garage didn't charge me.
I suspected the condensers as the area was full of rubbished. Strip down and one was wet on both sides and the other was corroded and damaged.
Replaced and refilled but still not cold. This time charged but only 50%.
I have looked at the compressor and the centre clutch mechanisam isn't rotating.
Does it take a longer time to pump/fill the system after a repair ? If so maybe the refill isnt enough.
The fans behind front rads only come on when temperature is over 80c I have read that the fans should be on and running slowly if the a/c is switched on, is this correct?
Would the fans actually stop the a/c from being cold and the compressor running?
Checked the fuse, all good. Only removed and cleaned the a/c relay as I do not have a spare.
Trying to worked out where to check now and how.
Any suggestions would be great.
Cheers

Who's filling the system with refridgerant? The process should be fully automated where the operator connects up the machine and dials in the vehicle details so it delivers the correct 'weight' of gas.

It shouldn' ttake any longer to fill when it has been repaired as the process vacuums out any gas first to check for a leak and only then can the gas be put in.

The clutch on the compressor should not run all the time but kick in and out as required. The compressor does rely on a minimum pressure in the system before it will engage as a protection measure.

Cant say whether the condensor fans slow run on a Cayman, it does on my 964 as soon as I press the AC button. Under high demand it will go high speed.

Buy some UV glasses and a UV torch. Easy to find the issue that way.

MC

The most recent AC 'incident' on my 911 was not the condenser but the pipe leading to it. You can see a pin prick sized hole half way down the pipe.

Thanks, I made a mistake was meant to say the clutch on the compressor isn't running only the outer pulley. Before the final refill the system was check for leaks again and held vacuum during them monitoring the system . What I am unsure about is if the garage didn't put quite enough gas in to
re-activate the safely/shut off pressure switch that allows the compressor to run, or I have another problem.
The garage only does vacuum tests and refills and are not geared up to do major repairs. It is only a small 2 man old school village garage and mainly do mots and annual services.

I will look into the uv glasses and torch and see if I can detect another leak.
Otherwise I guess I will book the car in somewhere else to be rechecked.

Thanks

Take it to Kwik-Fit and let them gas it up. They have a machine that does all the work that a chimp can operate with a little training. It knows how much gas to put in based on make/model input. If there is a leak there is no charge.

The clutch won't operate if the pressure is not right. Check fuses/relay whether power is going to the compressor.

Kwik-fit is where I took it the first when the leak was found. I only took the car back to my village garage as it Saturday and no where else had an appointment available.

Fuse and relays seem ok with 14vdc when car is running.
Anyway thanks I will get the system checked again to confirm it is full. Hopefully that is all it is.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back