Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

radiator replacement

queenmonkey

Trainee
Well, i've just replaced both fan resistors on my '98 996 with those from RS components (£6 that includes next day delivery!), I've also vented my inner wheel liners /fan covers whilst under there. Bruises on both arms trying to get the fan covers back on their brackets and skin missing from Knuckles,

Also discovered that both my A/C condensors are shot, which explains why the A/C wasn't working when i brought the car. Drivers side rad is also damaged but not leaking but i will replace.

I've put the fan covers back on along with brackets. My wheel liners are back loosely thinking that i can remove the rads from the front of the car. I've just googled rad replacement and got pelican parts info. Their instruction suggests removing the very brackets and covers i've just reinstalled!!! Please please someone tell me that i can replace the rad from the front without having to take the fan/cover bracket off to release from behind. I don't think my arms/knuckles can go the distance!

The rad is encapsulted in the bracket/housing. You have to remove all the lot then release the rad from the assembly, pop the new one in and then reinstall. But it's quite easy with the wheel liner and front bumper off.

Did one of mine a couple of years ago here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=96237

Hi Alex and thanks for your reply and helpful pictures. Looks like i'm taking everything out again then.
QM

It is simple to do. My brackets were all rusty so I changed those along with the radiator hoses and clamps whilst I was in there. Bumper and wing liner are easy to take off and then there is great access. I changed coolant and fitted an LTT whilst I was at it.

MC

:thumb:

Hi, do you have the RS Components part number?

Just been quoted a staggering amount of money by Porsche for a resistor...:eek:

queenmonkey said:
Well, i've just replaced both fan resistors on my '98 996 with those from RS components (£6 that includes next day delivery!), I've also vented my inner wheel liners /fan covers whilst under there. Bruises on both arms trying to get the fan covers back on their brackets and skin missing from Knuckles,

Also discovered that both my A/C condensors are shot, which explains why the A/C wasn't working when i brought the car. Drivers side rad is also damaged but not leaking but i will replace.

I've put the fan covers back on along with brackets. My wheel liners are back loosely thinking that i can remove the rads from the front of the car. I've just googled rad replacement and got pelican parts info. Their instruction suggests removing the very brackets and covers i've just reinstalled!!! Please please someone tell me that i can replace the rad from the front without having to take the fan/cover bracket off to release from behind. I don't think my arms/knuckles can go the distance!

Thanks for that; I couldn't believe that Porsche wanted £100 for a resistor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back