Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Not so fantastic plastic

gunner

While the 993 was largely 'hewn from granite', a few bits of plastic crept into the construction and I've noticed that 22yrs later it's not what it was. Definitely starting to get quite brittle.

Plastic bits to break so far:

Door end cap
Fuel filler extension
Door pocket clip
Sunroof wind deflector hinge

Any other obvious offenders?

Fan shroud thingy - mine has just disintegrated!

:nooo:

Fuchs said:

Ditto if that's the black rubber shroud on top and slightly behind the top of the fan. Mine started with a split and soon became a hole on Friday. Just waiting for a new replacement.

Other plastics worth looking at are spoiler wall curtain and surrounding fittings.

C.

...those pesky little hole covers along the wing line behind the carpet. They have a thin plastic 'hinge' which fractures with age. Honestly they should have had a proper engineered cap in machines Ti or something, not some thruppeny bit piece of plastic from the Porsche parts bin...

Oh and the cassette holders don't last forever. Mine jammed as I tried to retrieve a copy of The Best of Imagination.

tim993 said:
Mine jammed as I tried to retrieve a copy of The Best of Imagination.

I'm sure that was "just an illusion"... :grin:

C.

Additions to the list:
Lower seat plastic covers
Seat release knob (the one to operate when entering the back seat)
Black door sill cover
Sun shade hinges
Oil filler pullout tube
Oil filler tube (long tube from the filler cap to the oil tank, PIA to change)

Plus many more I guess.
Cheers,
Tore

I meant oil filler tube, not fuel filler.

Spoiler wall I can forgive as it's a little more open to the elements.

Several there to look forward to though...

I doubt the 993 is worse than the opposition -in fact i bet its lasting rather better. I remember my dads old Volvo 740 at just 15 years old and that had all manner of plastic parts that had failed or were on their last legs. At least console oneself with the knowledge that almost every part mentioned above is still easily obtainable from Porsche.

Or perhaps I'm missing the point - is the 993 in particular a low point for Porsche in so far as plastic parts that are failing?

I don't think it's a 993 'problem', I'm sure most 20yr old cars are having the same issues.

cableguy said:
Fuchs said:

Ditto if that's the black rubber shroud on top and slightly behind the top of the fan. Mine started with a split and soon became a hole on Friday.

C.

Mine also gave up this week - obtained a new one within the week and it is easily fitted.

^^^^^^ That's the bit Kat1. OPC posted mine yesterday so should be here today fingers crossed. :thumb:

C.

AndyS said:
Those little clip thingys that hold the interior alarm sensor to the 'A' post.
I just wish I knew what they were really called and what the part number was so I could get a new one :dont know:

I had this trouble some years ago, so took a picture for posterity:

P1000356.jpg

:D

Last edited:
oh they just dont make it like they used to do they....?

I mean only 22 years.....pfffttt! :wack: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back