Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short shifters...again

Osh

Paul Ricard
Afternoon all

I know that this has been done several times before but I just wanted to ask afresh if anyone can help with a recommendation for a good quality short-shifter...??

I bought a short shifter of the interweb about 2 years ago, I think it was the first mod I ever did. Its lasted OK up to now but, just before I went away to Dinslaken, I started having problems with it. It first it just seemed 'vague' in picking up a gear when trying to change up to the back half of the box – so 2nd, 4th and 6th, and while I was out in Germany it was really difficult to get into gear at all (and quite worrying).

Today it's been downright crap. I'm almost wrestling and fighting with it to get it in to gear. So it needs changing.

Marco at Porschemode in Bristol, who services my car, recommends the short shifter for the 997 – and I know a number of fellow 996 owners have fitted the 997 short shifter; but I've recently heard a good report on the 997 GT3 short shifter, too.

So, have any of you fitted the 997 or 997 GT3 short shifter...?? I'd be interested in your views and observations/experiences with it, plus if you have any links to where you bought it that you could share that would be superb.

Thanks guys in advance of any feedback

Regards

Osh

I went stock 997 from OPC

Think it gives 15% shorter shift - I found it just tightened up the shift nicely. Don't feel any need to go shorter

The following image maybe best highlights the difference in throw of the OEM 997 shifters (all are a reduction on the 996)
- the 997 GT3.2 shifter has the same throw as the standard 997, but billet main bushings

https://goo.gl/images/z73oJH

Osh - you need to find out what the problem is. It may be the gearbox selector rail inside the gearbox that is partly to blame. Mine has at times locked itself in gear and also been really hard to select gears but I know fact that it's the selector rail in the box causing the problem.

Pull up your gaitor around the leaver to expose the SSK and have a move around of the gear stick to see if you can identify where there may be an issue with the SSK. Could simply be a loose nut etc.

The gaitor easily comes unclipped by pulling it on the rear (nearest the handbrake) upwards.

alex yates said:
Osh - you need to find out what the problem is. It may be the gearbox selector rail inside the gearbox that is partly to blame. Mine has at times locked itself in gear and also been really hard to select gears but I know fact that it's the selector rail in the box causing the problem.

Pull up your gaitor around the leaver to expose the SSK and have a move around of the gear stick to see if you can identify where there may be an issue with the SSK. Could simply be a loose nut etc.

The gaitor easily comes unclipped by pulling it on the rear (nearest the handbrake) upwards.

Cheers Alex - will do.

My service guy did tighten it up and slap some grease on it a few weeks ago, but he was of the opinion that it was knackered...

By the way, if its not the SSK how do you identify if the selector rail is buggered. That also sounds expensive...??

Osh

You need to work out your ssk is operating correctly. If so then the cables aren't sticking, then next it'll be your gear selector rail.

Sorry Osh, can't help much more than that.

I have the OPC-supplied 997 short shift kit as recommended and fitted by my Indy (Sports & Classic). Perfect setup, no notchy changes 1st to 2nd when cold and the proverbial rifle bolt action shift up and down the box.
Had it 5 years and covered 12k miles with it.

Different gearbox on a Turbo though so may be different. Isn't your gearbox rebuilt too Cheshire so should be like new on the selection?

Manthey Racing Billet Aluminium short shift: MM996986GTSS

Plus Cup Shifting Cables does a cracking job for me.

JZM Kings Langley for availability/suitability and price for your application....

Mike at Sports & Classic only recommends the OPC 997 short shift kit for 996. He is obviously making that recommendation for a reason - even though the OPC part is around £250 versus after-market at £30-£50.

OP: suggest you ask some Indys which one they recommend and then decide.

As above, my first point of call would be to pop the gear stick gaitor off and check that the short shifter is all done up correctly.

I fitted one of the £30 ebay SSK`s to my 997 a year ago, and the only problem ive had over the last 15,000 miles has been that the nuts which go on the shaft which goes through the gear stick worked loose. This was because for some reason they supply them with normal nuts rather than nylock nuts. I stuck some thread lock on them and that seems to have resolved things. I could tell that something was up because the usual "bolt action" had suddenly become very sloppy and a huge amount of play in the gear stick.

Osh, if you liked the feel of your short shift before it got cranky, Id go for a 997 SSK, as it has the nylon block - so should be less prone to wear, and seems to be the preferred favourite/deluxe option amongst the short shifting community, judging by the various threads Ive read over the years.

Personally, Ive tried a worn 996 SSK (no nylon block, so like the eBay shifters) which was fine 3rd-6th, but nasty when cold in 1st and 2nd.

Then a 997 std shifter, which was a huge improvement and pretty nice shift, but still had a little bit of stiction when pulling it out of 1st or 2nd to go into the next gear, which I found disturbed the smooth flow/made me think about it. Presumably, this is why they went for a slightly longer throw in the 996 std shifter.

Then I tried a 996 std shifter, which is my favourite, as its a really smooth, linear shift, despite being a bit long winded.

I suspect my ultimate shifter might be the GT3 shifter with the bushes, or a 997 std shifter with the ShiftRight kit (bearings).

I bought my car 6 weeks ago and was surprised how sloppy the gear change was.

After much research on here, Pistonheads and Rennlist, I decided that the 997 GT3 RS shifter was the best bet for me:
- 15% shorter than the stock 996, so the same as the stock 997 and unlikely to make the gear change too notchy, which some have said the SSK can
- Metal bearings, so harder wearing and more precise (like the eBay kits, but unlike the standard 997 standard shifter
- Includes the entire mechanism, so much easier to fit
- Requires no modifications, so much quicker to fit
- Replaces all the wearing parts in one go (unlike the eBay ones) with the latest design, and includes the cable ends too, all pre-greased
- Finally I know that I have a genuine Porsche part fitted from a GT3 RS, whose gear change is part of its appeal, I believe, and who everyone seems to say has the best "feel"

The downside is the price - I looked around online and they all seem to be around £250+VAT+postage. If you buy through an OPC, then it is £280 all in with the Porsche Club discount.

I manged to pick up brand new one from here last Monday for £220 (I have the receipt for £280 from OPC Silverstone, dated end of March 2017) and fitted it last Friday afternoon - simple enough and took me 2 hours.

Result - much better shift and no worries that there will be any problems with it in future.

At the end of the day, the GT3 RS shifter is probably the easiest and "best" option, but is also the most expensive.

Hope that helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back