Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 C2S - Tubi vs Cargraphics

TBE997

Monza
Hi guys,

I am looking to "invest" in a new exhaust system. Since I am mainly after improving the sound (read: make it louder), I have been advised to go for a new car and mufflers, headers are more for performance improvement rather than sound (correct me if I am wrong!)

My short list, as per the title, are:

- Cargraphics exhaust + 200cell Cargraphics cat
- Tubi exhaust + 200cell Cargraphics cat

Pricing wise, the Cargraphics muffler withoutvalvetronic is a little cheaper than the Tubi (I have the PSE, and its always open...).

I spent hours on YouTube and reading through the forum, and everyone speaks very highly of the Tubi.

My personal preference would be to go for the Tubi, understanding that this will probably give me the best sound.

Happy to hear your thoughts / advice, as always very appreciate and helpful!

Best
TBE

If you want sound my advice would be
1/ either leave your headers alone or get some equal length guys on hear speak highly of the ebay cheapies or the reasonable topgear ones. they are stainless so will increase the sound over stock ,
2/as your suggesting 200cell cats look for the bigger bore pipe ones as the cats are the biggest bhp win in the exhaust and more gas out = more power and the tone imo is better.
3/ this is the controversial bit and I am basing my opinion on my experience
you could do as your thinking and add sports boxes which I have done in valvetronic form although I never turn them off lol. but what I have just brought with the intention of getting more sound is a pair of muffler bypass pipes the ones I got were from fabspeed but there are other options about. there are no mot issues or cel lights etc. as its all after the cats they are cheaper than buying sports boxes and a dam sight louder lol. they are also far lighter than sports boxes and allow unrestricted gas exit for max bhp. (it is a myth that cars need backpressure). If your looking for loud that's the place to be.
my muffler by pass pipes might be for sale as I am looking at changing to a gen 2 and they have a different exhaust set up. ps this is not the reason I suggested them I suggested them for the reason I brought them myself which was for you increase the sound to max without failing mots and getting cell issues..
:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks k you Phil, as always very helpful!

I was thinking about straight pipes after th cat, but I think that would be a bit to extreme, so I think I will go down the Tubi route and hope for the best

Delivery takes 5weeks :sad:

TBE997 said:
Hi guys,

I am looking to "invest" in a new exhaust system. Since I am mainly after improving the sound (read: make it louder), I have been advised to go for a new car and mufflers, headers are more for performance improvement rather than sound (correct me if I am wrong!)

Pricing wise, the Cargraphics muffler withoutvalvetronic is a little cheaper than the Tubi (I have the PSE, and its always open...).

I spent hours on YouTube and reading through the forum, and everyone speaks very highly of the Tubi.

My personal preference would be to go for the Tubi, understanding that this will probably give me the best sound.

Best
TBE

I've used both of those combinations (and several others) and Tubi silencers with Cargraphic cats (the cross-over type) work best for me.

The Cargraphic silencers are fine but the Tubi are louder and I think they sound nicer as well.

For various reasons I've settled on the combination of Cargraphic cats and Tubi silencers with Kline inconel headers.

This has worked for me over three years and 25K+ miles now, so has proved reliable and durable as well as sounding good.

The Tubi silencers fit and work perfectly well with Cargraphic cats using all OE fittings, and with no need for a remap.

So you can't go wrong if you did one first and added the other later on - both add loudness in their own right.

The Cargraphic cats use 120mm-diameter HJS cores and after 5 years, they've proved to be well worth the ££ for me.

I'm based in North Dorset if you wanted a look/listen.

Have fun!

Good review Tim, always nice to read what others have found works for them and why. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil :)

btw I think we're sort of neighbours now so must find an excuse to meet up when you get your 4S.

TBE good luck with the new exhaust. I didn't ask whether you were planning to fit it yourself but if you're swapping out exhaust parts make sure you allow for new fixing hardware as well - clamping sleeves, nuts, bolts etc.

Unless they've already been renewed all the existing ones will most probably be rusted to ****

tims1959 said:
Thanks Phil :)

btw I think we're sort of neighbours now so must find an excuse to meet up when you get your 4S.

TBE good luck with the new exhaust. I didn't ask whether you were planning to fit it yourself but if you're swapping out exhaust parts make sure you allow for new fixing hardware as well - clamping sleeves, nuts, bolts etc.

Unless they've already been renewed all the existing ones will most probably be rusted to ****

Thanks Tim, I wont be fitting the fabspeed muffler bypass on the gen1 now I have gone to a gen2 that has already got a full cargraphics race exhaust fitted. so will probably sell them.
You going to Simply Porsche mate its only down the road for you. :thumb:

tims1959 said:
TBE997 said:
Hi guys,

Best
TBE

I've used both of those combinations (and several others) and Tubi silencers with Cargraphic cats (the cross-over type) work best for me.

The Cargraphic silencers are fine but the Tubi are louder and I think they sound nicer as well.

For various reasons I've settled on the combination of Cargraphic cats and Tubi silencers with Kline inconel headers.

This has worked for me over three years and 25K+ miles now, so has proved reliable and durable as well as sounding good.

The Tubi silencers fit and work perfectly well with Cargraphic cats using all OE fittings, and with no need for a remap.

So you can't go wrong if you did one first and added the other later on - both add loudness in their own right.

The Cargraphic cats use 120mm-diameter HJS cores and after 5 years, they've proved to be well worth the ££ for me.

I'm based in North Dorset if you wanted a look/listen.

Have fun!

Thanks a lot Tim, this was exactly what I was looking for, Tubi it is!

I won't fit it myself, but have been speaking to a garage that will take care of that. The car is 10yrs old, the only concern they had was that the o2 Sensors might be rusted in, which would need replacing too... Let's see, I will place the order soon and hopefully will have the system on by the end of June.

Thanks for the offer to come by, but unfortunately that would be a 2.5hr drive one way (i am in central London)

No worries TBE.

Up to you and your fitter but if the old O2 sensors look badly rusted in it might be easier to leave them alone in the old cats and fit a fresh new set to the new cats.

An expensive option but it might save time and hassle in the long run, especially if you're paying someone's labour costs for fitting.

Even if the sensors come out, they only have a few threads holding them in and these are easily damaged by corrosion and by hammering and torching that might be needed to free them up. The sensor elements can be damaged by contamination from penetrating oil etc. And the sealing washers (crush washers like spark plug washers) usually don't seal properly once they've rusted up.

Phil 997 said:
Thanks Tim, I wont be fitting the fabspeed muffler bypass on the gen1 now I have gone to a gen2 that has already got a full cargraphics race exhaust fitted. so will probably sell them.
You going to Simply Porsche mate its only down the road for you. :thumb:

Fabspeed muffler bypass Phil?
I thought your 997.1 was loud enough already :grin:
Definitely no need to mess with the exhaust on your new one...

Hmm Simply Porsche, yes - I'll see if I can make it :thumbs:

TBE997 said:
headers are more for performance improvement rather than sound (correct me if I am wrong!)

TBE - Good advice from Phil as always, but I would not discount headers as well if you are going to the expense of changing the mufflers and cats! I have recently put on a set of the cheap set from Germany, fantastic quality for the price, about £150 delivered, they certainly add something to the sound, a higher pitched rasp at higher revs and more of a growl at idle! The headers are the first restriction that the gases meet in the exhaust system, less restriction = more sound and more potential for Bhp increases!

The other element to how the car sounds is the induction, the stock box is very restrictive and insulated, simply capping off the resonator port helps here but my twin cone set up seriously increases the induction roar that is addictive over 5000rpm and imo improves the sound of the car more so than the exhaust alone! Unfortunately....there is no decent quality twin cone/airbox set up available at a decent price and an open cone air filter is not recommended!

TBE997 said:
Yes exactly if they struggle to get them out I will go down that route... £££ hehe

By the way, do you know what diameter the Tubi tips have? They look similar to the larger PSE tips ?

Cheers

Sure, Tubi and Cargraphic are both nominally 60mm outside diameter.

Same as OEM for Carrera S, so you can re-use your existing OEM tailpipe trims.

Two words of warning

- OEM PSE tailpipe trims will not fit aftermarket silencers, not because of the size but because PSE are offset to the right.

- With Tubi silencers you order outlet tubes separately. Different parts for 997.1 S (60mm o/d) and non-S (smaller o/d).

So make sure you order the right ones (and supplier sends the right ones)!
:thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back