Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Unusual PCCB Squeak...

Mobs

Hi all

It's been a while since I've had chance to take the car out (& post on the forum...:oops: ), but have noticed that my brakes make a rotational squeak; not constant, but at very low speed & on every wheel rotation - even when the brake pedal is not being depressed. I'm not sure of the offending corner just yet as it's not long come out of it's winter hibernation & so I've not had chance to investigate properly.

The more acceleration, the less the noise becomes audible (as one would expect). So beyond 20mph or so there is no issue, but I am acutely aware that there is likely to be friction occurring nonetheless. I did happen to notice this issue last year, but it seemed more intermittent.

The car (996 TS) is equipped with the PCCB & I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what may be occurring, as ceramics can't warp? I would expect constant squeaking if the pads were grabbing or they had some muck in them? :dont know: The rotors are fine (the car has only done 30k :oops: but have been recently checked anyhow).

I know that ceramics tend to squeal & squeak, but normally only occasionally & when the brake pedal is depressed.

The car is going into my local OPC for warranty renewal on Weds, so I could do with any info anyone may have prior to asking them to investigate (for obvious reasons!!).

I'm a bit stumped on this one, so any advice would be grand.

Cheers

Mobs

My guess is it would go if the pads where removed , cleaned and refitted .. might be slightly sticking.

You may also have a pad backing plate come unstuck .

All pads rub against the discs but with ceramics then it doesn,t take much to get a noise im afraid.

I experienced similar behaviour in my GT3 that wore PCCB's, but only when I would have been driving relatively sedateley, ie town driving or anything considered not harsh. Driving on Euro hoons however, involving heavier braking over regular periods and I would never hear a squeak (excuse the pun).
Perhaps try a series of staged hard braking inputs and see if this changes anything.

Agree - mine squeak when driving around town but are fine after a lit bit of firm braking when 'making progress'

Thanks for the input!

I'll nip out a bit later to see if a few hard stops helps at all. Failing that, I guess it could be pad issues & can be investigated once in for the warranty.

Nice one!

:thumbs:

I can generously offer to swap your PCCB set-up for my steel brakes if you like; no squeaks there. :D

Mine have been known to squeak but only very occasionally during 7 years of ownership. A few good presses on the brakes at reasonable speed usually sorts it.

mikeluke said:
Agree - mine squeak when driving around town but are fine after a lit bit of firm braking when 'making progress'

I have to agree with Mike on this.
IceBoy

How many 996 Turbo S car are on this forum?!?!?

:thumb:

How many 996 Turbo S car are on this forum?!?!?

Well that's four so far. Interesting question.

Well, I took the car over to the OPC today & needless to say the brakes were silent... :dont know:
Ain't that always the way?

For a relatively low production numbers car, there does seem to be a lot of UK 996TS owners on the forums (here & PH). I've owned this one for 6 years (manual, seal grey, black leather int, cab).

Interestingly, there is one being prepped for sale at the OPC I took mine to this morning (lower mileage coupe). They've hinted at the price they are going to put it up for, but I'll try to get verification on Friday, so that should be interesting.

They also called me this afternoon to see if I was looking to sell...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back