Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993ers daily drives?

MattyR

Imola
Anyone care to spill the beans on their daily drives (most of us probably save the 993 for the weekends - if you don't then you're a bonafide hero).

I'm changing the RR Sport for no other reason than it's comfortable but utterly boring (sorry if that causes offence!) and wouldn't mind some insight into other members dailies i.e. make, model, daily mileage, what they like about said car blah blah blah. I currently have my eye on a BMW M2; anyone got one of those?

Ta gents :thumb:

My DD is just to get to the office and back, and is mostly motorway miles and guaranteed traffic jams on a Monday morning and a Friday afternoon.
For this, I don't care about performance etc., it's just comfort, reliability & economy that count.

We have a Golf Mk 6 TDi and a Merc A180 AMG Line which we share.
I do a 60 mile round trip, and my wife does a 10 mile round trip, so we swap and change to keep the mileage similar.
I've always had a Golf on the drive since before I can remember, but prefer the Merc just 'cos it's brand new so loads of nice little gizmo's.

The Porsche seems to be a weekend only toy now.....

Andy

Daily as its the most economical I've got is a FFRR :floor:

If I'm on business with passengers I take out the big boy.....

My other summer toy, to be honest the 993 has not had a look in as I can't stop driving the boxster and its almost my daily at the moment.....

And SWMBO pram which is surprisingly fun to drive with the new Jaguar engine in it, I've been running around in this for the school run etc....

We have a couple, 2016 Golf GTD with dsg which does the most mileage, about 12k pa. And a 1998 Mercedes SL 320 which is great for smoking around in on a sunny day with the top down.

We both took early retirement a few years ago so no regular commute or journeys. Just done 1500 miles around France in the Mercedes, most of it with the top down and off the autoroute. :thumb: 8)

Love the SL's and 98 was during mercs golden period of build quality :thumb:

Being a poor old retired b'stard ....... I drive a old mans Volvo ...... and it ain't new ....... an S40 on a 54 plate ........ but it works for me and it's cheap an cheerful ....... :)

This is the old girl I use
1959 Petrol 2.25litre

Challenging to say the least
Fairey Overdrive
55MPH on the Motorway

FullSizeRender_zpsxposjp5n.jpg

IMG_0337_zpsflniwqwm.jpg

And this big boy for commuting

17FF14EF-B02A-426A-B0BC-999CAE588464_zpshahg8dc6.jpg

madalaa said:
Being a poor old retired b'stard ....... I drive a old mans Volvo ...... and it ain't new ....... an S40 on a 54 plate ........ but it works for me and it's cheap an cheerful ....... :)

I ran an S40 for 3 months, needed a run around when my secondment to the states got delayed for 3 months and I'd already sold my daily, gave it my dad and he loved it :thumb:

jonttt said:

Yes the R129 was probably the last of the properly engineered Mercs IMO. My father has a 93 500SL and it's a quality motor.

My daily drives are a last of the line Mk6 Golf GT Tdi bought new. My other daily is a new model Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio. My first Jaaaaaag and very impressive in both performance and comfort on business trips.

Weekend warriors are the 993, an e34 535i Sport Manual and an e34 Wagon which is halfway through restoration, next job is the s50b30 (M3) engine transplant that has just been refreshed.

C.

jonttt said:
madalaa said:

I ran an S40 for 3 months, needed a run around when my secondment to the states got delayed for 3 months and I'd already sold my daily, gave it my dad and he loved it :thumb:

........ It's a Dad's sort of car ...... lol ...... in fact if anything it is a little to large for my liking ....... but it has cracking climate control ......... unlike my 993 ...... lol ......

New XC90 for me. Great tech and comfort, engine is a bit more average. Perfect family transport.

jonttt said:

I was going to take the 993 on our French trip, but we were travelling with friends who have an XKR convertible so we made it a full topless Tour.

IMG_20170401_173034435_zpstxljop15.jpg

IMG_20170429_084457350_zpsmsoreagv.jpg

A Land Rover and a 993 make a good combo in my eyes...

Attachments

• img_1932_166.jpg
    img_1932_166.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 7,346
My daily is less economical than the 993 - The G Wagon has become somewhat of a workhorse too. The E46 is the summer daily. Unfortunately the 993 barely gets driven these days as I'm waiting for the little one to grow up enough to use a booster seat :sad: .

Attachments

• img_7591_970.jpg
    img_7591_970.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 7,304
  • dsc01298_143.jpg
    dsc01298_143.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7,304
I drove my C4 for 9 years as my daily, covering 60k miles in that time.

My turbo is now a rare pleasure and the commute is left to a 420d.

Attachments

• 993lm_2005_174.jpg
    993lm_2005_174.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 7,266

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back