Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service - A few questions

RL1989

Trainee
Good morning all,
My car will soon be going in for a minor service and some preventative maintenance, I have a few questions on sourcing of fluids / parts....

Oil
I believe hartech recommend Millers nanodrive 10w/50?
Any recommendations for magnetic sump plugs?

LTT + Coolant
Which LTT is considered the best?
Design911 are fairly local so could pick this one up...
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod7...orsche-986-Boxster---996---987-Boxster---997/
In theory the coolant is fit for life, however coolant will be lost when fitting the LTT, is the general concensous just top fill back up or flush the system and replace all of the coolant?
If replacing all of the coolant is there any preference on which coolant to use? It would be very expensive to replace all of the coolant with Porsche coolant straight from the main dealer. 32 Litres is a shed load of coolant!
There is also chirping noise which appears to be linked to rotational speed of the belt, I think this is the water pump. Any recommendations for which pump to use? The Porsche OEM pump is significantly more expensive compared with non-OEM.

Thank you in advance!

Hi RL,
I do suggested as your thinking the change to millers nano 10w50 the LLT in your link is the one I used and have had no issues at all with it. I just got them to top up the coolant I didnt change it all .

Opie oil is best for millers , I brought 10ltrs today used discount code Nano15 and got 15% off with free delivery, you can find it a few quid cheaper on ebay but the question is then is it genuine. :dont know: I have tried 1ltr of the ebay stuff and it seemed ok, but when doing a full change I have gone back to opie oil
my car is too important to risk things for £10 savings lol.

cant help with the pump but with most Porsche stuff its made be someone else and is likely to be a pierburg part , worth looking on Autodoc for the best prices.

hope that helps :thumb: :thumb:

I recently did my front rad and with all the loss of coolant I just used ECP's own brand, you can buy it diluted or undiluted but you should mix it with distilled water if you buy it neat, so I bought it ready mixed. Think it's about £2.50 a ltr.
On reading up 'they say' that coolant has a 5yr life and should be changed for new.
As for your water pump I priced one from OPC and it was extortionate, nearly £550 with VAT!
Bought a pump from Autodoc, turned up in three days and it's a Pierburg which on installing it turns out is exactly what Porsche fit as the two pumps were identical, price from them was about £140 plus vat. Think I have a discount code somewhere for Autodoc if you go ahead with it.
As for oil I use Mobil 1 also from ECP when their sale is on, which is every week!

Coolant: Comma G40 XSG405L is what I use, and iodised water from Halfords. From my research some time ago they are the supplier to Porsche. Personally I wouldn't use ECP coolant. If its not been changed for five years or longer, I would just top up with fresh coolant - you will get quite a bit out anyway when changing the thermostat.

Squeaking from waterpump probably means bearings are worn, worth changing at the same time, especially if it is 10+ years old. Pierberg waterpump, Elring gasket and Contitech belt, all from autodoc.co.uk (as others have said). I paid around £200 for the lot recently.

Definitely would go with Millers NT 10W50 or 5W40 (if mileage lower).

Thanks all! Appreciate the input.
I have ordered the 10w50 millers from Opie and a new LTT, OE Porsche filter and magnetic drain plug from Design 911.
I will pick up 35 Litres of ready mix Comma G40 next week.
The car is 11 years old now and who knows what is has been topped up with in the past (Water pump has been changed before), so I think its best to change all of the coolant.

If it is the waterpump I will order the Pierberg pump from Autodoc seeing as it is £330 direct from my local Porsche dealership!

The 'cheap' Millers oil on eBay is from JJC Race who are a reputable company, used them many times and even been to their premises. No 'knock-off' stuff from them and they're usually cheaper than Opie even with a discount code.

"Look after the Pennies and the Pounds will look after themselves!"

:D

Well I've got everything ready for the service and water pump / LTT change, thanks for the advice everyone!

Well I've just picked up the car from Autostrasse this evening.
Must say, great service and I am certainly happy to leave the car with them again in future, thoroughly recommend.
Looks like the pump is ok and it was a worn tensioner bearing making the noise, however I think the water pump bearing still sounds a tad noisy so I will replace this early next year.
LTT fitted but I can't say I noticed a huge difference other than taking a little while longer for the oil to reach temperature. Temp still rose to 110deg C after a spirited drive around some twisty roads and took a good while to drop to 100, couldn't get the temp to drop down to 90/95 before I put the car away!

RL1989 said:
Well I've just picked up the car from Autostrasse this evening.
Must say, great service and I am certainly happy to leave the car with them again in future, thoroughly recommend.
Looks like the pump is ok and it was a worn tensioner bearing making the noise, however I think the water pump bearing still sounds a tad noisy so I will replace this early next year.
LTT fitted but I can't say I noticed a huge difference other than taking a little while longer for the oil to reach temperature. Temp still rose to 110deg C after a spirited drive around some twisty roads and took a good while to drop to 100, couldn't get the temp to drop down to 90/95 before I put the car away!

The fact the gauge moves is the main improvement, these cars have a rep of the gauge going to temp and just sitting there no matter what you do with the car
I found when I did mine the gauge was moving around more which it never did before , not sure on a day like today as hot as it was that you would see the temp at 90/95. the Millers will also be making a difference in the speed it comes to temp. :thumb:

Don't skimp on a few quid buying a pattern replacement water pump. It's a right **** to get at without dropping the engine on a 986. Drop the top down. Push the seats as forward as possible. Remove the engine cover and BOSE if you have it. Remove the rear carpets behind the seats. Now you should see an inspection plate fixed to the bulkhead. Undo the screws and remove it. Some of the bolts the odd shaped water pump. The lower bolts will have to be accessed from below, as will the removal and replacement. Before you take it off you'll see just how close the water pump is to the bulkhead and what a patience job it is without removing the engine on the 986. It is doable without removing the engine.

Someone like Demort on here will hopefully pitch in his experience as well. Trust us, you don't want to fit an aftermarket water pump. We've seen them start chattering after 10k. It'll sound very similar to an IMS bearing collapsed and often gets a wrongly diagnosed without a bore scoring inspection and oil filter inspection.
So if you have multiple jobs on list like the RMS is weeping & coil packs etc, then bite the bullet if you're keeping the car to get a lot done in one hit to save time costs in revisiting the engine for different individual work.

Matt

Bless you Matt ..

Im afraid we would normally fit an oem Pump though so i leave the merits of cheaper ones to you guys as i have no experience there .

On a 997 then is not the easiest job in the world but not overly hard ... but i think the OP will be getting his garage to do it .

Idler bearings and tensioner are the main source of noises on these cars though .

I dont find 986 pumps too bad to do .. but im only little so can squeeze in there :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back