Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 oil gauge

Roysk

One whole week into my ownership of a 2007 4S I must admit to being perplexed! I received the car following a full service and the oil gauge showing full. I checked it this morning with the car on a completely flat surface and the gauge showed a segment down, which I understand represents 0.4 litres. Having only done about 250 easy miles I was slightly worried. On checking it 20 minutes later, again on a flat surface following a five mile run, the gauge was showing full. Is that normal? I had run the car for about five minutes before starting the journey. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bring back the dipstick !
Mine is always playing silly buggetrs, today I had full bars, last weekend it only showed 2.
I absolutely hate the thing.
The cars are known to use up to a litre per thousand miles, so half a litre after a thousand miles would be okay as you do not want to overfill.
Damn things :frustrated:

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on it!

Frenchmeister said:
Bring back the dipstick !
Mine is always playing silly buggetrs, today I had full bars, last weekend it only showed 2.
I absolutely hate the thing.
The cars are known to use up to a litre per thousand miles, so half a litre after a thousand miles would be okay as you do not want to overfill.
Damn things :frustrated:

Mine does exactly the same - it will show 1 bar down and then the next time I check it it'll show full.
I always check the level in my garage so it's a consistent level floor and it doesn't seem to matter whether I check it when the engine is cold or after a run.
I wish I had a dipstick!

Roysk, they are funny things but remember the car holds 8.5ltrs of oil so to be fluctuating between full and one segment down really isnt anything to worry about , I think its a peculiarity of the flat six engine and the way the oil drains back from a flat engine , on a positive note its no bad thing that a little oil remains in the engine ready for a cold start . the other thing to consider which many have done, is to move to the thicker viscosity oil like Millers nano 10w50 this did help my gauges settle down to a more accurate reading and is good for the engine. :thumb: :thumb:

Always check on completely flat surface, and try to check after a good run with the oil temp having had a chance to rise the the engine working at speed for as long as possible.

Oil usage seems to vary massively between cars, or at least that's the feel I get from reading threads on the topic.

I disagree though that half a litre or a litre for 500/1000 miles is normal though- it's not for any car in my opinion unless you are on track maybe.

If your car uses up a litre of oil every 500-1000 miles in normal driving conditions get it checked out. Don't just assume it's fine- that is a ridiculous level of consumption.

In the fist 18 months of ownership my 997.2 Turbo S had just under a litre over around 4000 miles. Bear in mind that's a Turbo and it has also had plenty of spirited drives in those months. That's what I put in to keep the oil level full or just one bar under full- in my opinion best not to overfill so i keep it one bar under.

It had a service Nov 2016 and since then until now has not needed any oil at all. The bar is showing full after around 1000-1500 miles since oil was changed during the service.

Roysk, You do need to note that when checking oil levels the gen1 must be checked cold the gen2 must be checked hot so dont get confused by differing advice. :thumb: :thumb:

It depends on how hot the oil is .. the hotter it is the more expansion so it will read higher.

Also on the gauge each segment is 0.4 BUT ... if you drop 0.1 below the segment it will still read 1 segment down so you put in 0.1 and its back to full again if that makes sense ... basically it can be 0.1 - 0.4 down on oil .

The cars have approx 11 ltrs of oil in them but you will only get out between 8 - 9 on an oil change .

I think the Gen2 turbo is even more frustrating to monitor. The level can only be read when the engine is running and the oil is up to temperature.

By the time it gets to that stage I am still buzzing from the drive I usually forget to check :roll:

Demort said:
The cars have approx 11 ltrs of oil in them but you will only get out between 8 - 9 on an oil change .

In my view even more reason to carry out regular oil changes.

Good evening folks

Like a lot of the guys have said here earlier, don't get too hung up on the reading/ gauage

I got bit OCD with mine, until my Indy told me to relax firstly, because these gauges are invariably crap and can even be effected by outside air temperatures and indeed atmospheric pressures, but secondly until you unexpectedly and consistently get low readings, and warning chimes start sounding, it's nothing to worry about. Having said that, personally, yes whilst I know there's plenty of oil sloshing around in these engines, I wouldn't let mine go down to anything less than 1 bar if it was using a bit of oil, albeit I don't have that problem/ issue thank the Lord !!

As for consumption. I think I've been blessed with my baby....... 4,500 since my last oil change and it's not used a drop ! I agree that a litre every 1000 miles is a bit much unless you're not one for offering your 911 some mechanical sympathy from cold which I must throughly recommend or expect some serious and expensive consequences if you don't !

In any case, welcome and enjoy your car

Best wishes,
Kev

Mr 911 said:
Good evening folks

Like a lot of the guys have said here earlier, don't get too hung up on the reading/ gauage

I got bit OCD with mine, until my Indy told me to relax firstly, because these gauges are invariably crap and can even be effected by outside air temperatures and indeed atmospheric pressures, but secondly until you unexpectedly and consistently get low readings, and warning chimes start sounding, it's nothing to worry about. Having said that, personally, yes whilst I know there's plenty of oil sloshing around in these engines, I wouldn't let mine go down to anything less than 1 bar if it was using a bit of oil, albeit I don't have that problem/ issue thank the Lord !!

As for consumption. I think I've been blessed with my baby....... 4,500 since my last oil change and it's not used a drop ! I agree that a litre every 1000 miles is a bit much unless you're not one for offering your 911 some mechanical sympathy from cold which I must throughly recommend or expect some serious and expensive consequences if you don't !

In any case, welcome and enjoy your car

Best wishes,
Kev

Kev just reading your post has made my think of an interesting observation .
mine was not using excessive oil but it was using oil and needing topping up regularly , I changed to millers 10w50 and this frequency slowed but I still was having to put some in but again not excessively . now I have been wondering why my usage had reduced considerably recently eg a 1000 mile trip to dinslaken and a further 3 weeks using it and not a drop needed . then I remembered recently I have had my Tandem Pump replaced as it was rusty and showed misting and am now thinking that its highly likely that was were my oil was going. so it is worth checking areas like that and changing to a thicker viscosity oil which wont seep out of worn areas as easily if you find yourself around the max usage porsche recommend which is quite high. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Phil

That's an interesting slant...... I love some of the positive comments, advice and views that people share on here, it's really fantastic

My Indy uses Valvoline 10/60 and they swear by it. The 3 owners have been Porsche Spanner Monkeys since they were 16...... They are all in their mid 50,s + now so they've been around a bit, and God do they know their stuff!!

Cheers
Kev

Mr 911 said:
Thanks Phil

That's an interesting slant...... I love some of the positive comments, advice and views that people share on here, it's really fantastic

My Indy uses Valvoline 10/60 and they swear by it. The 3 owners have been Porsche Spanner Monkeys since they were 16...... They are all in their mid 50,s + now so they've been around a bit, and God do they know their stuff!!

Cheers
Kev

The more I learn about these cars and listening to guys like the 3 you mention , the more I understand that the advise they offer like using a 10w50 or 10w60 oil on an engine with over 50k on it is knowledge gained over many years and should be adhered to. :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back