Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rennline Semi-Solid Engine Mounts Fitted.

DucatiRob

..at last! Had these a while and got around to fitting them today! Easy job as the engine has been removed recently so nuts and bolts were not a problem. Took about an hour including cleaning bits and pieces.

First impressions.....brilliant! Very little movement from the engine on start-up. I have used the yellow inserts that are the softest of the three choices. There doesn't appear to be any more vibration than I had with the standard mounts throughout the rev range which is a pleasant surprise and hardly noticeable at idle. Everything feels a little bit tighter now, the rear end feels more stable and gear change slicker and more precise.

There is certainly slightly more noise transmitted to the cabin but only a little and it is more of a pleasant mechanical noise and not harsh at all. The exhaust tips now sit nice and tight to the body, probably lifted the engine up by a good half inch or so compared to the old mounts.

Overall very happy with them :thumb:

IMG_0512.jpg

I like mine as well Rob ,I went yellow on yellow also . they stop that big heavy lump swaying about in the back, yes I know I sometime have to give my ex wife a lift in the back of the car. :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
I like mine as well Rob ,I went yellow on yellow also . they stop that big heavy lump swaying about in the back, yes I know I sometime have to give my ex wife a lift in the back of the car. :floor: :floor:

:floor: :floor:

They certainly look very 'Gucci'. How easy, after they are fitted, would it be to swap over to a harder insert?

To change the bushing you would need to take off the mounts change the bushing and refit them. to be honest its only about an hours work as my local tech did mine the other week on my drive to check them . :thumb:

DucatiRob said:
..at last! Had these a while and got around to fitting them today! Easy job as the engine has been removed recently so nuts and bolts were not a problem. Took about an hour including cleaning bits and pieces.

Thats a bit of luck then. I had a spare hour last weekend so I thought id have a go at fitting the RRS mounts I bought 12 months back. After getting the car in the air, the lower mount nut under the back of the car just wouldnt shift. Felt like it had been torqued to the moon and back. After 30mins of messing about with increasing length of breaker bars on it I just gave up.

rabbitstew said:
DucatiRob said:

Thats a bit of luck then. I had a spare hour last weekend so I thought id have a go at fitting the RRS mounts I bought 12 months back. After getting the car in the air, the lower mount nut under the back of the car just wouldnt shift. Felt like it had been torqued to the moon and back. After 30mins of messing about with increasing length of breaker bars on it I just gave up.

That's a shame! I know the lower nuts can be a pain to remove and not easy to access with penetrating fluid or heat from the underside. Might be accessible from inside the engine bay with the air box removed, could give the stud a god soaking with WD40 overnight and give it a go with a bit of pipe on the breaker bar!!

DucatiRob said:
rabbitstew said:
DucatiRob said:

That's a shame! I know the lower nuts can be a pain to remove and not easy to access with penetrating fluid or heat from the underside. Might be accessible from inside the engine bay with the air box removed, could give the stud a god soaking with WD40 overnight and give it a go with a bit of pipe on the breaker bar!!

Yeah I had a 5ft length of scaffolding on the breaker bar in the end. Its not helped in that you have to use a long extension bar on the socket to clear the back of the car - which means when you start levering it, it can slip off the nut.

I will give it a good soaking now I know where the nuts are, and am tempted to use it as an excuse to buy an cordless impact gun. :D

Cordless tools are great if you use them regularly or you share the batteries with other tools. Otherwise I've decided that there is nothing more frustrating than getting out the much needed tool to find that the battery is flat/defunct.

I decided that I wouldn't use an impact gun much so I bought a corded one from Machine Mart (good review from Auto Express). It is also cheaper and more powerful than cordless devices.

BTW WD40 is not really a penetrating spray (or lubricant), it's a water dispersant. I usually use good old Plus Gas but I have heard good things about a mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone - haven't tried it yet as I don't have the auto trans fluid.

WD40 is as good as any other penetrating fluid, they are all oil/grease dissolved in a solvent and it's the solvent that gets the lubricant into the tiny crevices, just like using a mixture of acetone and an oil!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back