Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starter whirr

wilsonny

Came to start the car and instead of the usual starter action it seemed to make a sort of drill sound. Trying it again and all was normal but over the last few days its done the same thing, starts normal most of the times, but other times it does the whirring.

Im thinking the starter isn't engaging with the flywheel (my old Volkswagens used to do that). Is this a known issue or something else likely ?

Starter motors are known to fail quite often on the 993 ....... apparently because of where the are situated and how hot they get ....... I think I have had to replace two since owning my car for nearly ten years.

Mine has done this for a long time, it appears to turn the engine and then be thrown out by the flywheel whilst still doing it's job hence the whirring, if that makes any sense

However Madalaa's story makes me reconsider, I think mine may be on it's way out

AP90 said:
Mine has done this for a long time, it appears to turn the engine and then be thrown out by the flywheel whilst still doing it's job hence the whirring, if that makes any sense

However Madalaa's story makes me reconsider, I think mine may be on it's way out

Thanks both. I'll probably end up replacing starter to be sure, but might have a go at stripping and cleaning first given that it sounds like the motor is working but just not fully engaging. Funny that it first happens right after its been in for a service but I guess just coincidence.

Mine was distinctly sluggish so I took it off stripped it and cleaned it then re-greased it cleaned the commutator popped a new brush pack in and it spins up like a good un now!

Del.

Another good indicator of starter motor on the way out is if it misbehaves once the car has been driven a while .. Hotter = increased resistance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back