Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short Shifter & Air Intake Mod

syvid

Hi guys,

After keeping my C4S car original for the least few years I am tempted to get the following 2 mods. They are well covered mods I know but I wanted your opinions:

- Air intake: I have settled for the orange cap/plug mod, so no silicon hose and it will stay original from the outside. I have tracked down the Niagara orange plug that the US guys use and manage to put my hands on a couple of them from the UK supplier.

- Short Shifter: I have read a lot about this and it seems that the choice is between the £35 ebay option or buy a 997 shifter. I like the idea of the 997 so it keeps it within the porsche part.

Oh yeah and also I am trying to get hold of the Red S badge. The one on ebay has ridiculous postage cost!! Any other solution? Possible to remove and paint? What the best way to remove it?

Thanks!

The shifter you really want is the 997.2 GT3 - did this not stand out within the research..?
- shorter throw than the 996
- not as short a throw as the SSK (less "notchy" as a result)
- billet main bushings, rather than plastic

Part No: 997 424 010 91AS00

trouble is tracking down a used one for reasonable money........... as new from an OPC is certainly not going to feel like reasonable money :x

With the ebay short shifter, you'll definitely notice, but you may not like it
With the standard 997 shifter, you may not really notice much
997.2 GT3 shifter gives genuine feel of all round improvement

I have the 997 GT3 RS shifter in my car. One of the best mods i have done.

I bought new from my local dealer, about £280 all in.

demon said:
The shifter you really want is the 997.2 GT3 - did this not stand out within the research..?
- shorter throw than the 996
- not as short a throw as the SSK (less "notchy" as a result)
- billet main bushings, rather than plastic

Part No: 997 424 010 91AS00

trouble is tracking down a used one for reasonable money........... as new from an OPC is certainly not going to feel like reasonable money :x

With the ebay short shifter, you'll definitely notice, but you may not like it
With the standard 997 shifter, you may not really notice much
997.2 GT3 shifter gives genuine feel of all round improvement

This is what I bought a couple of months ago, but have yet to try it as the car is in for an engine rebuild. £350 from an OPC :eek:

After extensive research and looking to improve the very sloppy gear change on my newly acquired 996.1, I came to the conclusion that the best option was to buy the GT3 RS shifter, as mentioned above, as it replaces all the possible worn polyurethane parts in my existing shifter (the short shift kit does not do this) and seems to get rave reviews from all who have fitted it (as Pye21 says too). It is not a short shift kit though.

Luckily a fellow member had advertised one last week in the parts for sale forum, which is brand new and never fitted. It was £252.75+VAT, but including a Porsche Club discount and postage, he paid £280.18 (as Pye21 said) from OPC Silverstone on 28/3/17. That is the cheapest I have seen it anywhere. (I was fortunate to get it for a lot less though). I haven't seen one secondhand - only the "regular" 997 shifter and the 997 SSK. However, I would say buying secondhand is a false economy as these are likely to be worn too and you won't be able to tell until you've actually received it...

pye21 said:

Totally agree, did this mod last year and found that the 997 GT3 RS shifter is a brilliant upgrade for the 996 platform... good value from Porsche especially with Porsche Club GB discount!

Mr B

MrB said:
pye21 said:

Totally agree, did this mod last year and found that the 997 GT3 RS shifter is a brilliant upgrade for the 996 platform... good value from Porsche especially with Porsche Club GB discount!

Mr B

And it was your previous post extolling its virtues that convinced me to go down that route too! I am fitting it this weekend, so I will hopefully feel the same way.

syvid said:
- Air intake: I have settled for the orange cap/plug mod, so no silicon hose and it will stay original from the outside. I have tracked down the Niagara orange plug that the US guys use and manage to put my hands on a couple of them from the UK supplier.

If that doesn't work out, or they look a little unsecured, try plumbing bits (page 1 and 5):

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60295

GT4 said:
syvid said:

If that doesn't work out, or they look a little unsecured, try plumbing bits (page 1 and 5):

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=60295

Great thanks! Can't wait to try t out and see how much of a difference it will make

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back