Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pads soon.........

michelin

As title really.
Are we all OEM or do we use the likes of EPC etc? Car isnt going to be tracked. Reasonably priced suppliers names appreciated.
Also, apart from the obvious wear sensor, bolts and spring clip is there not any shims or grease applied to the pads?
On the 997 I had to buy, from memory, anti squeal shims.
:thumb:

Thanks Steve.
Do you replace the sensors if they haven't broken through and also the spring clip?
Also, lubrication. Do you lube the back of the pad?

michelin said:
Thanks Steve.
Do you replace the sensors if they haven't broken through and also the spring clip?
Also, lubrication. Do you lube the back of the pad?

I do things a little different to many because I optimize the brakes for the track. So what I do might not suit all:

I don't use sensors because they can melt at track temperatures so the old ones have been used as loop out plugs (wires cut to an inch of the plug, soldered together and sealed in shrink tube). If you can get the old ones out without breaking them (very difficult!) there's no reason not to re-use them.

I've thrown away the anti-vibration shims and just smear the backing plates of the pads with brake paste (Wurth). If you buy new anti-vibration shims (or possibly re-use the old ones, don't lube because they need to stick to the backing plate. Nb. There are no shims on the back, so lube the backing plates as mentioned above.

I've yet to replace the spring clips and pins. They've always appeared to be fine to re-use. The little R clips that go through the pin get tired and brittle though and often ping off into oblivion when I remove them :grin: so I'm sourcing some of those at the moment for the next change.

The problem with the extra consumables (spring clip and pin, wear sensors and antivibration dampers) is that if you get new ones every time you change the pads you add the best part of a hundred quid to the bill!

Do the 981 front pads have shims Steve?

Didn't spot that you had a 981 rather than a 987. I'm not familiar with the 981 changes but after looking at the brake packages on the Type 911 I don't see any anti vibration shims in the kit.

You'll know for sure when taking out the brake pads...no shims means they come out easy but they're a ***** to get out if shims are present.

I've been doing a little research on the Textar site and it looks that they now have some form of pad applied to the back of the pad to avoid noise etc. It's name is called 'Q+'

Started the brakes yesterday and the backs are complete. They are easy as the caliber doesn't have to come off!
Fronts tomorrow!!! :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back