Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seized coffin arm bolts

dan4182uk

I set about replacing my front coffin arms this weekend, all went well until it came to removing the bolts that hold the coffin arm to the subframe. The nut came off fine, but on both sides of the car the bolts are stuck in the bush.

I tried a lot of plus gas, impact gun in both directions and quite a lot of hammer. No joy.

I've now ordered some replacement bolts and will have to try some heat next weekend.

It seems unreasonable to me that the bolts are so stuck on a 7 year old car.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so how did you get them out? Can I expect the rear ones to be this bad too?

Surprised to hear you're having trouble with the front end. The rears are normally the problematic ones. Advice above is the way forward ;)

Yes happens a lot, steel bolt in alloy bush = seize. Same happens to lots of high spec cars, e.g. S2000.

Just cut them off, don't faff about too much for the price of the bolt. I used a reciprocating saw last time, I never had much luck by hand with a hacksaw blade.

Usually its rears that DIY owners have difficulty with. Maybe thats because front don't last as long, and mechanics have already been in and done the fronts with copper grease.

I had this on the rear of my friends 996 C4.
I cut the coffin arm off with a disc cutter, then cut off the rubber before cutting through the inner aluminium section that was corroded to the steel bolt. Holding the aluminium with grips I was then able to get the headed half the bolt to come out, the other section then drops out.

5665257E-F737-4C01-89E3-92C5508A2D76_zps9wohylp6.jpg

Thanks for the input - I can see now that I was not going to win that bolt battle.

For future reference they are M12x95mm.

The part number is 90037816501

They are about £4 each and design911 stock them online. As soon as they arrive my bolts are getting cut out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back