Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rev counter removal and LED's

motivator

My tacho bezel has been hanging off on one side since I bought the car, acting like a hinged glass door. So i decided to bite the bullet and take it out. Now having recently had the steering wheel replaced and then the horn push bump stops replaced by the garage, l didn't fancy taking it off again myself.
So I read up on as many options as possible and then looked on the web for replacement costs.
I had to do it all in the garage with limited door opening space. I started to wiggle the tacho out by the rubber sleeve, but soon realised that it was not going to come out over the top cover of the steering column. So I took the 2 side screws and the 2 top screws out of the steering column shroud, then a little forcing and manoeuvring and the top came away.
Now able to get the tacho out, and found that the rim of the body that should keep the bezel on, had cracked 80% round, so there was nothing much holding the bezel on. Decided to brake the rest of it off and glue the bezel directly to the body....I no many will be shacking their heads in despair :eek:
I have now decided to change all of the instrument panel bulbs while i can get to them, so have ordered the set offered by Rennlist forum.
All left in pieces until that arrives.

One Here starting at £100 if you fancy your chances. I've seen them go for less but prices seem to be on the up :roll:

An excellent reply from Tore B somewhere suggested leaving the incandescent airbag warning light as is, because the bulb is monitored as part of the airbag system. All other bulbs can be replaced with LEDs.

Thanks for the responses.

Stuttgartmetal: I looked at the Type 911 bulbs, but the CarMagic LLC ones are complete in the fitting to go straight into the socket, so although they are a little expensive I decided to go for those. ( I see you are not far from me at all in Caterham)

Zingari: I did see that rev counter, but it looked a little scruffy, so the best I could see was £175, which I might still go for if this doesn't hold together on re-installation. (will the repaired gauge affect the price:?:

Sutton: Thanks for the tip on the Airbag bulb, I presume you can identify it from the back?

I was also wondering if I should replace the rubber gaskets while I am at it, will that help re-installation, or am I better of just greasing the originals?

Thanks

motivator said:
Zingari: I did see that rev counter, but it looked a little scruffy, so the best I could see was £175, which I might still go for if this doesn't hold together on re-installation. (will the repaired gauge affect the price:?:

Running your index finger around the dial bezels looking for evidence of 'tampering' is on the Illuminati inspection sheet so if you apply for membership don't be disappointed if when they empty the bag the number of black balls resembles the floor of a rabbit's hutch :what:

You could always apply those aluminium bezel trim covers and spray them black :dont know:

Those rev counters have gone up. Think I paid £50 for a spare a few years back.

I couldn't tell which was the airbag bulb from the back of the clock. I found it easier to look at the front face and remember the position of the airbag bulb.

Zingari, Due to the general condition and changes to mine, I don't think it was ever going to be the "Belle of the Illuminate ball"!
However because I didn't have to prize the edges back on the bezel to get it off, I don't believe your index finger inspection would give the game away, so only the members of the forum would know....Damn :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back