Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuilt 996 C4S price advice ?

adamw

Portimao
Hello all
Wondered if I could get some opinions on what's considered to be the correct ball park price for the following car, that could be available on the market shortly.

2002, C4S, manual, coupe, black\black, 87k, FSH and well looked after.

Now here's the thing that's making it harder to price...

It's just had 17.5k spent on it at autofarm which included a comprehensive engine rebuild including x6 ceramic cylinder liners, new IMS but I'm still to see the full invoice for all the detail. The engine rebuild was said to total 14.5k so there's another 3k on top which again I don't have the detail for but will be obtaining this for review. I know its has x4 N rated MPS tires fitted too. It's all been very recently completed and rebuilt engine still being run in.

It's a dealer who's potentially selling and they advise that the car has been fully prepped for sale and is "stunning". It's had some paint (from PU), a machine polish, and now really looks perfect & wants for nothing.

Now, I'm yet to view the car or the paperwork which I do plan do, but if it really is as good as I'm being advised, the rebuild is a proper job and it's as good as it looks, my question is what price would you put on such a car.

Basically what I'm advised is that despite the 87k it's now looking and feeling like a new car because of cosmetics, and engine rebuild.

Opinions please chaps
Would be much appreciated
:thumb:

Hi Adam,

So based on this car http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=7597 I would say the car you are interested in has a better colour (personal choice of course) and has a better gearbox... I guess it would be on for at least £20K or so?

So it's being sold by a trader? I've been looking for a long time now. I'd say anywhwre from 22-25k.

A private tip/manual c4s with a rebuild are about 19-21k it seems.

One thing that worries me is what are these ceramic liners? I've never really heard of them before and this is probably extremely silly but ceramic seems an odd material to use in an engine lol? And aren't the ceramic IMS bearings now turning it to be incredibly fragile?

I'd expect to see that for £25k. Black manual coupe must be one of the most sought after C4S specs. Full autofarm rebuild will add a little extra to the value

a new would depend on the condition of the clutch, brakes, suspension and exhaust not forgetting the interior

must haves for top money are sports exhaust, heated seats, bose and litronics

From a dealer I wouldn't be surprised if the asking price was nearer to £25k than £20k.

C4S with sub 100k have become very desirable so prices have gone up in the last 18 months and the premium over a narrow bodied car has increased.

One with a properly sorted engine will be a great value-for-money car. :thumb:

A fresh engine from autofarm, a 17.5k bill and for sale from a trader? I'll be amazed if it's less than £30k.

Thanks for the input so far all..

Re spec, should have said. It has sports seats, PSE, and litronics but no Bose.

Re the "ceramic liners", this was a duff bit of info. from the dealer. Autofarm used Nikosil casing so equivalent to Hartech solution which is good.

Condition of clutch, brakes, suspension components etc are yet to be determined as not viewed or inspected but will ask the question.

I personally priced this car at around the 25 (maybe 26) mark before discussing price with the dealer.

However Grifter is closest so far with the his guess/opinion with the dealers "bottom line" price being quoted near to 30k

Is this a really over the top price as another 6-8k on top would almost be within 996T pricing.

Trouble is I really like the car, and the autofarm build would certainly give me confidence in it, but don't really want to pay over the odds as can't ignore in a couple of years it'll be heading towards the 100k mile mark.

:dont know: :?:

I think £30k is way too strong IMO. Your right in that you could probably get into a similar mileage and spec 996TT for about 7-8k more. Yes it has had a engine rebuild but so have many others and it does increase the value and desirability slightly but not by +£10k.

I think around the £22-£25k mark seems more sensible.

Not sure you'll be able to insure that car for 30K either.

Rebuilt engine due to the known issues doesn't really add anything to the price of the car - marginal in my opinion - if anything.

That's why anyone who is unfortunate to have the issues who then pays for a rebuild is doing it as a keeper knowing that cost cannot be recouped.

Stick to your £25k figure and be prepared to move to £26k if you are comfortable. But £30k for a NA 996 even if its a C4S??

The dealer will sell at £30k in time - to an uninformed buyer who buys with emotion and not logic or research.

£30k is a bit daft tbh. Maybe if it had sub 50k miles. But like you say, in a year or two youl hit 100k miles and at current private prices it'd probably be worth £20k... a big hit to take! A more realistic price is £25k, but if the dealer wants £30 i suspect they've bought the car at around £25k?

I agree with the opinions that a rebuild is desirable but doesnt add much to the resale price and IMO its 5k over priced BUT they are only going one way and if your buying a keeper you should be safe in the knowledge that your not going to loose big time on it if at all. none of us can predict future values of these cars and buying at any price can be a gamble. You need to also consider how you feel about this particular car and if its everything your looking for in a 911 then whats a few grand over to get what you want. the 996 is in a funny place currently as they are sitting in the same price ball park as the 997 and 30k would get you a very nice gen1 997 so the people that are prepared to spend that money on a 996 really want a 996 for the reasons that many prefer the 996 over the 997 .
Have you driven both 996 and 997 also C2S OVER C4S in both models which is something you really need to do if your going to spend top dollar on a 996

If it peace of mind you want then an 06/07 997 .1 can be got for mid/high 20Ks and you can put a full OPC warranty on it for the next 4 years until its 14 years old at 1k pa so you would still be around the 30k spend with full peace of mind. lots to consider but a nice set of considerations. good luck keep us posted :thumb: :thumb:

THERE IS A red GEN2 997 3.6 CARRERA for sale in Bournemouth for 35k thats a lot more car for another 5k its only got 44k on the clock full history and not the potential issues of the 996 and 997.1 just a thought :?: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
I agree with the opinions that a rebuild is desirable but doesnt add much to the resale price and IMO its 5k over priced BUT they are only going one way and if your buying a keeper you should be safe in the knowledge that your not going to loose big time on it if at all. none of us can predict future values of these cars and buying at any price can be a gamble. You need to also consider how you feel about this particular car and if its everything your looking for in a 911 then whats a few grand over to get what you want. the 996 is in a funny place currently as they are sitting in the same price ball park as the 997 and 30k would get you a very nice gen1 997 so the people that are prepared to spend that money on a 996 really want a 996 for the reasons that many prefer the 996 over the 997 .
Have you driven both 996 and 997 also C2S OVER C4S in both models which is something you really need to do if your going to spend top dollar on a 996

If it peace of mind you want then an 06/07 997 .1 can be got for mid/high 20Ks and you can put a full OPC warranty on it for the next 4 years until its 14 years old at 1k pa so you would still be around the 30k spend with full peace of mind. lots to consider but a nice set of considerations. good luck keep us posted :thumb: :thumb:

THERE IS A red GEN2 997 3.6 CARRERA for sale in Bournemouth for 35k thats a lot more car for another 5k its only got 44k on the clock full history and not the potential issues of the 996 and 997.1 just a thought :?: :thumb:

Many thanks Phil
These are all the thoughts that are going through my head and like all models to be honest, i.e. 9964S and 997.1/2S/4S.
I'm quite intent on getting a car that's had the preventative bore score IMS issues sorted and am prepared to wait for the right car at circa 25 (ish).

Where I'm at is that I either spend 25k and save myself a bit of money or spend more circa 35 (ish) and try and aim for a 996T. They're the are the cars I'm focusing on and will definately keep you posted :thumb:

Thanks all for your input to.
I now know what I'm going to do and I'm not going to spend what the dealers asking for this car.
I really do like the car and believe it does look a bit special so am going to make a final and genuine offer (subject to inspection) which will be slightly over my 25-26 but not by huge amounts.
I know it will be a "no" but at least my offers out there to be considered if in the coming days/weeks he has difficultly achieving the higher amount he's looking for.

Thanks again all :thumbs:

Theres a couple C4S just been listed with good engine work at £20k, could be a good option? Over 100k miles but thats reflected in the price?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back