Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 13
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have only just seen this, Neil, what a lovely piece of writing. I must admit that this is probably the only time in my life that I have been called 'the voice of sanity', - must be getting old. Very Happy

Collectively, this forum has a great bunch of people on board, pushing boundaries and asking 'why not' rather than 'why'? We will see where the project ends up, but whatever the results are one thing will be certain, nothing would have happened at all without this wonderful platform allowing people like you and Martin to ask 'why not'. Long may it continue.

As for the humble, much maligned 996, it really is becoming a hot rod platform within the 911 world, let's hope Project Ridiculous does it proud.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake fade.

Car projects are, by their nature, a journey to a journey (or many, if you don’t succumb to the temptation to finish the car, drive it twice, then sell it to fund the next project).

Being a journey, a succession of events, often things change - our priorities are re-ordered, the goalposts are moved. There are also many temptations - bigger is better being the one that troubles me repeatedly.

An example of this is to be found in the cars wheels and brakes. My car currently has both wheels and brakes, indeed I actually have two sets of wheels - an early manifestation of this problem, I admit.

What could I want to change? It turns out, quite a lot - and each decision has an ever ramifying set of consequences and dependencies, until the initial thought (“PCCB’s look like an interesting option, I bet they’d save a load of weight”) has turned into a spreadsheet detailing new uprights, adapter brackets, new calipers, spacers, new wheels, new tyres, rolling the arches, do I need to book it into the paint shop again afterwards, etc etc. To save a few kilo’s I now appear to have committed myself to spending over ten thousand pounds, and both scouring the worlds classifieds sites and commissioning much refurbishment of second hand parts to hold it to that ten thousand - blowing past twenty thousand is quite possible if going for new parts and paid-labour, which is, by every definition, insane.

And for what? It strikes me that the best route to what I wish to achieve would be to swap the 18’s that the car currently sits on to the 17’s that I have in my garage. In other words to go back to what the car came into my possession with, a redo-from-start that would see the car on the lightest wheels that Porsche produced for the 996, with all the dynamic benefits that that brings - less to accelerate, less to turn, less to stop. I could then really push the boat out and get some two-piece floating rotors to drop some more unsprung weight, and hopefully gain a degree of fluidity and adjustability that the move to larger rubber removed.

What I need to do is add simplicity - what I want to do is add complexity.

I think that there’s also a degree of small-boy pointing at planes here, which I hope I’m self-aware enough to deal with - I admit I’d enjoy someone saying “look at this plonker, he’s got a boggo 996 but he’s painted his calipers yellow, who does he think he is! Oh, wait a moment, actually those are ceramics. Oh.”

Which would be a momentary (and likely totally imaginary) feeling of having achieved something nebulous (and possibly shameful) but in any case 100% pointless, for a very great deal of money.

So what does this teach me? That every decision has to be scrutinized, and that I will lie to myself about my own motives with great facility, frequency and enthusiasm. That simplicity is often the best answer, but the hardest for me to accept.

I suspect that some reading this may (by this point, and possibly for some time now) be shaking their heads in disbelief whilst muttering “what about the engine then?!”, and I’d answer that what we’re doing there IS the simplest way to hit our goals - that the sauronic howl and comedic power we seek has to be supported by a degree of complexity, but even there we have tried to steer a simple path - we’ll strive to use flat tappets rather than domed ones until the point (if it ever comes) that the choice essentially makes itself. Complexity is not in of itself bad, but it must be justified, that unnecessary complexity is the enemy, and must be shown no mercy.

And I now have a use for the wheels in the garage.

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what all this is...........996 love & ownership. Seriously addictive with no boundaries. I like to think I've been thrifty with my ownership and after looking at my sums the other day, I've spent more on it than I paid for it. Both your & Mistercorn's running ownership threads are prime example.

These things are like ALL drugs rolled into one. Beyond addictive, money draining, headaches, but loads of enjoyment and worth every single penny. thumbsup

Nice post BTW. Thumb

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
Have only just seen this, Neil, what a lovely piece of writing. I must admit that this is probably the only time in my life that I have been called 'the voice of sanity', - must be getting old. Very Happy

Collectively, this forum has a great bunch of people on board, pushing boundaries and asking 'why not' rather than 'why'? We will see where the project ends up, but whatever the results are one thing will be certain, nothing would have happened at all without this wonderful platform allowing people like you and Martin to ask 'why not'. Long may it continue.

As for the humble, much maligned 996, it really is becoming a hot rod platform within the 911 world, let's hope Project Ridiculous does it proud.

Another excellent post Mike! worship

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alex.

This forum really is the forum for 911s, not to mention other flavours of pork. Some really good characters on here too, along with a fairly laid back vibe.

Cheers

Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll drink to that Viking Cheers

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:
Cheers Alex.

This forum really is the forum for 911s, not to mention other flavours of pork. Some really good characters on here too, along with a fairly laid back vibe.

Cheers

No animosity .. no bitching .. just helpfull advise .. far better than another forum i could mention !

i will also add .. the knowledge and experience of the people here puts me to shame many a time .. and i do this stuff every day !

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Girodiscs will fit under 17” wheels?

New997buyer
Fuji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved that write up on the previous page Neil. We’ve never met but have been following your posts and journey, with the car and with yourself, with interest and admiration.

Keep it going. Please. Will Girodiscs fit? No idea. But looking forward to you finding out.

That you’ve hooked up with Mike is also a joy. His expertise has needed a suitable project to showcase his talents. And now we have two. And I’ve no doubt he’s humbled by the attention. But he deserves it.

As do you the joy of topless drives to the south coast.

Cheers thumbsup

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

Now - anyone interested in these wheels, in perfect condition, with PS4's all round?

I paid £800 for the rims, and a further £1,100 for the refurb and new tyres.

£1,000 takes them away (from SE23).

Marky911
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your ever changing vision Neil, the rest of this forum benefit from some cracking bargains. Grin Thumb

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Recaro side-mounts will fit to the Porsche sliders, or do I need to get new ones? Seat going in is a Recaro SPG.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And would anyone know where I could get a Porsche crest the same as these to stitch onto the cover?

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait .. What .. Confused

I thought the seat issue was fixed or is this a seperate thing ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-New-Genuine-Porsche-Fabric-Sew-Coloured-Crest-Seats-Overalls-Coat-/192690441648

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bought those.

Seat - the current one works, it's got me in the right position, but...

The context to this car is that I'd like it to be as if I'd specified it in '97 for delivery in '98, but with a bit of a twist. Hence the X51-Evolution engine that we're building.

The Profi SPG is the same shell that was used in the 968-CS, the 993 RSR - and as the GT3 was a '99 production run, if the car was specified with a drivers bucket seat it couldn't be the cobra-headed Recaro that went into the GT3. It had to be the older, ribbed-shell Profischale.

And reading Marks thread where he talks about the difference that a proper bucket seat made to the driving experience I knew that I'd go this route sooner or later.

I'm going to get the shell painted to match the passenger seat, heating elements added, that crest sewn on, see what it's like.

Now, if someone could just buy my wheels so I can pay for the seat, that would be cracking.

deMort
Long Beach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the next step then fair enough .. i spent 20 mins trying to answer this post and thats the best i can come up with sigh .. sometimes i wish i was more literate Smile

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm

Now At An Indy.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one of these:

Hopefully this will make things straightforward.

thecarfixer
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of lovely work and stuff, and I know you've 'got form' doing tasteful modifications on other cars but...

..don't take it too far.

Otherwise you detract from what the car really is built for - on the road, going too far is very easy.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I 100% agree, simple is the hardest thing to do.

Believe it or not I am trying hard to keep this to a very specific brief, albeit one that evolves somewhat.

Of course it may end up like the car Homer designed, but I'll try to avoid that.

Dammit
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, taking a "glass half full" approach, the PCGB insurance that contains breakdown and recovery seems, so far, to be a good product.

Car is being recovered to Precision tomorrow after I spoke to them earlier and they said "don't start it again".

95% sure it's just a sticky lifter, but that 5% does exist, and it's not worth risking.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 34 of 38

Jump to: