Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ignition lock cylinder

queenmonkey

Trainee
Hi Guys, my key ignition has been problematic of late - difficult to get the key out which i understand is a common problem on 996's. I've purchased a new ignition switch and housing (including the steering lock). A mechanic friend has fitted it. He reports back that the problem is the same - it's the tumbler in the actual lock that he thinks has gone. He suggests that if it was a ford etc you should be able to purchase a cylinder to match the key or even have one made up? Does anyone know if this is the case with a 996?
QM

thanks for the reply Demort. Just got a quote of £312 (ouch!). I've been spraying wd40 but it's getting progressively worse!
QM

Yup .. not cheap im afraid .. there used to be a diy repair kit from OPC but that was many years ago and i guess discontinued now.

Not sure how much a complete lock set would be for your car , knowing Porsche it would probably be cheaper but obviously labour costs to fit it all would be expensive .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back