Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stiff 996 turbo clutch

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys, my local garage man noticed my clutch is rather heavy (its always been this way since i bought is 3 years ago). Ive noticed a leak around the accumulator under the scuttle pad on the drivers side. I also read about some sort of GT2 conversion, what does this entail and has anyone on here had it done?

Cheers

Chris

There are two things that could/should make it lighter and that is the helper spring that is on the pedal (common issue) break and make the pedal heavy and also bleeding the fluid, sometimes the clutch gets overlooked when bleeding the brakes.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be the clutch accumulator, which is a common fault.

Ditto accumulator problem when I had a 996T with a clutch that became stiff.

You have some good pointers re the clutch.

On the gt2 conversion, we do a few of these a month at the moment. Much better solution and costs about £1650+vat to do. If you need more information on that give me a call or send me a message. Particularly good if you have an upgraded clutch, which actually is all we would recommend putting in the car even if you are remaining stock power, as it lasts a lot longer and very little difference in feel.

Ken

Is changing the accumulator an easy job? I'm leaning towards this as there's fluid above it under the bonnet. I'm guessing as its leaking, it's not holding the pressure so I get heavy clutch. Just as a double check is this assist spring easy to look at?

clutch

I had a stiff clutch from when I bought my 996.2 and put up with it for three years.

Had some investigations done and was advised it could be the helper spring, but more likely a worn plate.

Had Northway put a new one in and what a revelation. Nice light clutch, much easier and enjoyable.

If you don't have a documented history of when it was changed it could need doing.

Doing a bit more research, it seems stiff clutch when on engine on/leak under bonnet is leaky slave cylinder. Clutch being stiff while off is the accumulator. Is there any downside to the clutch being heavy with the engine not running?

Accumilator failure will tend to give you a stiff clutch , to test run the car then switch off and you should get about 20 depresses of the clutch before it goes hard.

Can be changed easy enough provideing you can get a spanner or a grip tool on the sphere to remove.

Clutch resevoir over flowing can be either the pump or slave cylinder failing .. theres valves / seals in both which fail and let fluid return to the resevoir when it shouldn,t.

The presure for this system is generated by the PAS pump .

Downsides .. hmm .. you have a stiff clutch and a slow pas leak out of the clutch resevoir if not fixed.

Pentosin is a corrosive fluid if it gets on rubber btw .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back