Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

socket size axle nut

barty40

Hello all

I have a split front driveshaft gaiter on my C4
I need to know what size socket is required to remove the axle nut
Anyone who has done this any hints would be appreciated
Many thanks in advance

Can't remember the size of socket but you're going to need a long bar. I use a 3ft breaker bar and slot my jack handle over the breaker bar. It gives me about 7ft of leverage. Last one I did sounded like a gun shot when it cracked.

32mm deep reach, available from Halfords for around £8.

32mm. Doesn't need to be a deep socket. Just done both front inner and outer cv boots on my 4S

Gilesharrison said:
Can't remember the size of socket but you're going to need a long bar. I use a 3ft breaker bar and slot my jack handle over the breaker bar. It gives me about 7ft of leverage. Last one I did sounded like a gun shot when it cracked.

Just for curiosity, what should it be torqued up to when you put it back together?

340ft-lbs (460Nm) higher than most people's home torque wrench goes. On my mates C4 we got it to 330Nm and drove it to Centre Gravity who have a huge custom made torque wrench which got about another 1/8 turn on the nut to finish it off.

The normal 32mm socket I had wasn't deep enough due to the driveshaft protruding through the nut hence buying a deep reach one. The deep reach will require less of a extension and keep the breaker bar away from your wheel so less chance of scratching them or your knuckles.

If you weigh 12 stone, stand on a 2 ft bar?!?!?

So anything that will take off a centre lock wheel is more than adequate - if you are ever stuck then go to a local track day : someone will have something that can do it. :thumb:

[Yeah - I am not the only one that keeps a torque multiplier in the car]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back