Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust Hangers

AdamD

Hi,

Firstly to introduce myself, I'm first time poster, long time lurker who is looking for some advice to pass on to my local mechanic.

Last December I bought a 2003 996 AE off a well know auction website which although had been with the same owner for the past 6 years hadn't been meticulously maintained beyond the usual oil changes. I've spent the last few months getting it up together including some paintwork, a new water pump and discs and brakes all round.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I noticed my silencers were badly corroded and split at the seams so thought it an excellent excuse to ditch the old back boxes and replace them with a new shiny sports exhaust. :D

I also noticed the exhaust hangers were badly corroded so I managed to source a really good pair of second hand ones.

I was intending to do the job myself but I've been busy lately so I booked it in with my local garage to get the parts I'd sourced fitted.

To my horror, I received a call from the garage today saying they had sheared three bolts whilst attempting to get the exhaust manifold off. My immediate reaction was 'why are you touching the manifolds' as I thought the hanger was attached on top of the manifold and therefore wouldn't need to be removed.

Has anyone else replaced their exhaust hanger brackets with the engine in situ? Does the engine need to be dropped a few inches to get them on or do the manifolds need to be removed as my mechanic has stated?

Thanks in advance

P.S . Does anyone know who I can borrow/rent a Stormski jig from as I think my local garage is going to need one to sort out the manifold they have already attempted to remove.

Thanks for the reply. When I say exhaust hanger I actually mean the engine bracket that holds the hanger and is bolted to the top of the engine and the exhaust manifold.

I've managed to sort out a jig and instructed the garage to down tools until it arrives.

Any tips for removing the remaining bolts, i pressume he needs to douse them in penetrating oil and get them really hot before attempting to remove. He said some of the bolt heads are simply blobs of rust and don't resemble bolts at all.

Oh well, it could be worse... I could be doing the job!

The manifolds to need to come off in order to remove the hangers as they are in the way IIRC.

Now the garage has started on this job they have no choice but to see it through as this isn't something that can be left half-done. The remaining bolt heads just being blobs of rust is fairly typical. They will need to grind them flush with the manifold flange (not the head), and then remove the manifold and use the Stomski (not Stormski) jig. The jig has instructions for use that should be followed to the letter. A cockup on your head would be very very expensive. If they tell you the threads need to be helicoiled then they've probably screwed up the process. Use stainless steel replacement bolts or studs, or buy a set of titanium studs from Popopbangbang for the ultimate in future proofing.

The bolts holding the hangers on will be similarly crumbly and messed up, and I believe there is another Stomski jig available to sort those.

:agree:

The garage has done nothing wrong , you have to remove the mainifold to get that bracket off .. ive done 2 in the last week although to be fair one i had the engine out and as its an early model you can get the bracket off without removeing the mainifold.

In situe you drop the engine at the rear to give better access as the bracket hits the chassis .. it does with engine dropped but its easier.

EDIT

I use an airgun (ingersole ) and i tighten them first by a fraction then undo them .. other people try heat or hitting the bolts first .. i guess we all have our own ways of trying to get them out .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back