Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Emergency Bodge thread - what's yours?

Alex

Most folk will have at some point in their motoring life, been in a desperate situation with a car and need some sort of 'fix' to pull them out the ess haitch eye tea. Sometimes, that horrendous that you look back and think 'what the hell was I thinking?' or that good that it's still on the car 10 years later.

I was skimming my mates Maserati 4200 GT front brake discs up this morning and it reminded me of one of the best bodges ever. A few years ago his pads were worn right down to the bone - I mean metal on metal with no fudge left on the pads at all. He'd called round and wasn't able to get a new set of pads for about a week (unless he went direct to the local Mazzer dealer). He's beyond savy with his money so will do what he can to save a few £££.

As he needed the car for work and couldn't bare the thought of being carless whilst he waited for his new pads, he came up with a solution to get him by until they arrived. He went into his shed and found a brand new set of Lancia Delta brake pads he had from when he owned an Integrale. He dug them out, got what was left of his Maserati pads (just the metal backing plate), drilled a couple of holes in them and bolted the Lancia pads on. Fit them back on the car and used it daily until his Maserati pads arrived :eek:

Absolutely mad idea but did the trick and lasted until his new pads arrived :grin:

I know I've done a few, especially on holiday in the South of France: Repaired a clutch cable with an M6 nut and bolt (still on the car when I sold it 2 years later), stuck an exhaust back together with gun-gum, rad-weld in the radiator on my last trip down there in the 911, window held up in place with lolly sticks after the regulator failed.

I even fit an alloy wheel on back to front once to give the wheel a greater off-set after smashing an Alfasud into the front of a local train station. It was the only way the car could be driven due to chassis/panel damage and I needed to get it home.

.......but of any bodges I've done, nothing comes close to bolting brake pads off another car onto my own and then using the car daily for a week :nooo: :grin:

Anyone else got any extreme bodges they care to share?

Some of them can be an epic solution when the time comes.

I once broke down on the Banbury run which is for pre 1930 bikes and I had a breakdown on my sidevalve AJS with a broken valve spring.
I repaired it with an opened up jubilee clip to support the two halves,
I went on to complete the last 40 miles without a problem. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back