Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Updating this forum?

F9ank

Hi All,

I am not very active on this forum at all, in fact non existence for a long while, so definitely not the best to comment on this, but i do find it cumbersome when it comes to posting (not too bad, but clunky) and uploading (horrendous).

I have been on Impact Bumpers for a little while and the user interface has been updated recently and is far far superior. IB's user interface was the same as this before. You can now upload pics etc and other media without having to go third party and worry about pic size etc. All previous threads before the upgrade are there.

Surely we can move on?? Just thought it would be worth mentioning, as IB is a far smaller forum (i think) but has achieved it.

As an aside, I just logged on to my garage, thinking that after a year or two, it might finally have the 991 GTS on the car description. Nope! 997 GTS is on there but not 991. I might be very wrong, but that, to me, just reinforces a concern that this forum isn't being updated infrastructure-wise.

I might aggravate people by this post, and its easy to complain, and there might be good reason for it I don't know, but ease of use is the key and will always encourage far more interaction and the pics that we all love!

Cheers (I will get my coat)

Frank

Well I agree with you Frank.
I post a lot of photos to create hopefully interesting threads both 'The Red Baron' & 'Project Blue Book'. I can spent over a hour at a time uploading to Photobucket then pasting into this forum which can get very tedious.
I guess it's part of keeping forums interesting, but some backup from the people who make the Dollar out of all this wouldn't go amiss :?

There's plenty of other sites that you can use to link your photos from.

Fastest is probably twitter.

Just did this now with a photo on my phone. Took seconds:

C-wx3D6XoAM9med.jpg

Chief said:
Well I agree with you Frank.
I post a lot of photos to create hopefully interesting threads both 'The Red Baron' & 'Project Blue Book'. I can spent over a hour at a time uploading to Photobucket then pasting into this forum which can get very tedious.
I guess it's part of keeping forums interesting, but some backup from the people who make the Dollar out of all this wouldn't go amiss :?

Seems like we are in a minority Chief. As you say, would be good to hear from those with a financial interest if there are any plans.

alex yates said:
There's plenty of other sites that you can use to link your photos from.

Fastest is probably twitter.

Just did this now with a photo on my phone. Took seconds:

C-wx3D6XoAM9med.jpg

Thanks Alex - bit bonkers though that you have to use another social media account. I cannot stand twatter!

At the risk of alienating the 'owners', I agree.

I also use PH's and the format of how new posts are displayed is so much easier to view. The scrolling format of 911UK is tedious and tends to make me give up after a while...

But maybe I'm not using it properly. :oops:

F9ank said:
Hi All,

I am not very active on this forum at all, in fact non existence for a long while, so definitely not the best to comment on this, but i do find it cumbersome when it comes to posting (not too bad, but clunky) and uploading (horrendous).

I have been on Impact Bumpers for a little while and the user interface has been updated recently and is far far superior. IB's user interface was the same as this before. You can now upload pics etc and other media without having to go third party and worry about pic size etc. All previous threads before the upgrade are there.

Surely we can move on?? Just thought it would be worth mentioning, as IB is a far smaller forum (i think) but has achieved it.

As an aside, I just logged on to my garage, thinking that after a year or two, it might finally have the 991 GTS on the car description. Nope! 997 GTS is on there but not 991. I might be very wrong, but that, to me, just reinforces a concern that this forum isn't being updated infrastructure-wise.

I might aggravate people by this post, and its easy to complain, and there might be good reason for it I don't know, but ease of use is the key and will always encourage far more interaction and the pics that we all love!

Cheers (I will get my coat)

Frank

You're not alone, this forum is a pain in the @r5e to use...

I do know that 911uk towers is working on updating things , but as I am sure you are aware , to make it future proof for the next x number of years takes some time and effort. This site is not Sundeep's primary income stream and more his Hobby/interest, so as you can imagine he is working on it when he has time. There are lots of things that happen to a site of this size ,nuisance attacks from Hackers and other no friends sado's that have to be constantly intercepted to protect the forum and its users things that most users of this forum would never know happen . I as much as I understand your thoughts and don't disagree with them and I am sure Sundeep would feel the same. We need to understand that there are hidden complexities that go on constantly taking time to sort, and be patient while he sorts out the launch of the updated things.
I find that copying a photo to my desktop on the PC then resizing it to smaller than 600 pixels takes seconds to do and I don't use third party sites.
:thumb: :thumb:

So long it doesn't become a dogs dinner like PH after their butchering in the name of progress..

Thanks Phil

There is a plan in motion, with a fully mobile site and full image loading functions.

The site's infrastructure extends into newsletters, social media, event activities, the awards and keeping the lights on here, whilst dealing with both domestic and international threats to the forum. This resulted in the new build being delayed further than I would have imagined but this will be here as soon as it is possible.

I do apologise for the limitations of service in today's forum, as in today's fast moving internet world, we are now a step behind where we should be, but that will be addressed.

Of all the different car forums I use, i would say the Mercedes Club one is the best. I don't know what platform they use but it certainly has some nice features.

MC

Phil 997 said:
I find that copying a photo to my desktop on the PC then resizing it to smaller than 600 pixels takes seconds to do and I don't use third party sites.

Quite agree Phil
Takes me about 30 seconds to change the pixel size in "paint" then upload a photo , if it aint broke dont fix it !
WTF its still a slightly quicker than sending in your SAE to make your comment , spoilt i would say , so you have to scroll down , oh dear never mind how sad :sad:

Personally I find this forum very user friendly and easy to use. If you don't know/aren't capable of using its functions, then just search for your issue and there's usually a thread about it.

Nothing greater than learning and stimulating the mind..........unfortunately the likes of Google, Facebook & most car manufacturers are doing their best to take this away from us and turn everyone in to bone idol brainless mush.

Don't understand why folk can't see the serious issue created by making things user industriless (hey I just created a new word :) )

We'll all be eating through straws next, unless the intravenous drip takes over first.

KP964 said:
Phil 997 said:

Quite agree Phil
its still a slightly quicker than sending in your SAE to make your comment ,

Love that comment :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

alex yates said:
Personally I find this forum very user friendly and easy to use. If you don't know/aren't capable of using its functions, then just search for your issue and there's usually a thread about it.

Nothing greater than learning and stimulating the mind..........unfortunately the likes of Google, Facebook & most car manufacturers are doing their best to take this away from us and turn everyone in to bone idol brainless mush.

Don't understand why folk can't see the serious issue created by making things user industriless (hey I just created a new word :) )

We'll all be eating through straws next, unless the intravenous drip takes over first.

Alex, liking the new word but I need to know what it means :floor: does it mean easy if so I know a girl that I can apply it to . :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back