Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door checks ........

madalaa

......... mine has decided to fail ....... not a catastrophic failure but the dreaded click and a slight movement from where it joins the door frame ...... what's the going rate for a proper repair job?

Thanks.

Sam will weld that and not charge you a fortune either. My repair still all good 3 years on.

Sam did mine both of mine. Had the panels chopped out iirc and new welded in. It wasn't cheap, but not massively expensive either.

Cris at 911 RRR Wembley, found him through various threads, he is a superb fabricator, and knows this part of the car intimately.

IIRC £350 per side, reinforces them as well, wouldn't know the area had been touched, apart from the fact the annoying click click has gone.

Top man.

When you have seen the cracked and torn mount points inside the pillar when these fail, you'll surely want a proper thorough internal fix carried out. All the strength is derived from attaching the bracket to the back of the panel farthest away from the door. Some have perfected techniques to carefully open the pillar to carry out keyhole surgery to beef up the welds. You can then have a small hidden slug hidden under the bracket on the outside to help keep things still and prevent future fatigue setting in.

Proper fix means door off ideally, but that's not as involved as it may seem.

Done properly I can't see this ever being an issue again.

Does anyone have theory about why these fail?

Is it poor design, or bouncing the open door at its fully open position, etc?

The basic design of the strap is as old as the hills. With the doors getting heavier over the years and with many unknowing owners swinging the door to the stop, the poor little spot welded plate eventually rips free.

Unlike most of the 993, this part seems to have only been engineered to a high enough spec to last approx 18 years of heavy use/abuse before failing :grin:

My car is 22 year old ........ it was only matter of time before it was bound to happen ....... lol ...... ;)

Just in case Andy ...

Mine was making a clicking noise about 5 years ago .. I had it over at Hartech for servicing and they diagnosed a slightly worn hinge pin. Quick change out and all was fine again, and has been ever since ..
You could be lucky!!?

Hi there barney ....... I can see movement in the strap at the pillar end so I pretty sure it is failing.

Have a look at my resto post on this very subject, just had both sides done on mine properly.

The pics should give you a very idea of the work involved and the state of the welds.

I've also bought new hinges, nuts and pins to be sure :)

Trev

Ct & H ....... that is am awesome thread you have going there ...... you are a brave man ....... and thanks for that input re door check straps ....... it looks expensive?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back