Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Identify a noise on my 996 Turbo Tip

RichiRich

Suzuka
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 996 Turbo Tip from JZM and I'm trying to identify a noise, which I'm hoping someone on here can help me do. I've searched the forum, but have not found the answer as yet.

When I start the car (in my garage), shortly after starting there is a noise coming from the engine bay - it sounds like a whirring noise, maybe something being "adjusted"? It doesn't happen whilst I'm driving, but when I'm stopped at a traffic light or something like, it makes the noise for a few seconds and then stops. It's not squeeking like a belt, but is there an adjustment process going on?

Any ideas?

Is it like a whining noise... from when you say it operates, I would suggest Secondary Air Injection pump?

Robertb said:
Is it like a whining noise... from when you say it operates, I would suggest Secondary Air Injection pump?

+1

Thanks all, I'll have a look.

The secondary air pump is An excellent suggestion and a normal sort of cold start noises .. im kinda embarressed to point out one tiny problem .. its only active from cold for about 30 - 40 seconds to fast warm the cats then its not used again :(

OP has said it happens when hot at lights .... Sorry . :oops:

Common for these to have a belt noise and its not always a squeek / screech ..

Normally i would say have the belt off and spin each pully in turn to see if any are noisy but its not that easy on a turbo , need to remove the power steering pump pully to get the belt off .. or struggle like hell.

Best bet is to drop it by an Indy and get them to have a quick listen i feel , or perhaps post a sound clip .

Engine bay fan?Mine is always on when the engine is running, perhaps yours is audible.

Or, possibly just the alternator singing as it charges the battery :dont know:

The aircon compressor can be noisy if the system needs regassing.
Turn off the aircon and see if the noise changes.

Demort said:
The secondary air pump is An excellent suggestion and a normal sort of cold start noises .. im kinda embarressed to point out one tiny problem .. its only active from cold for about 30 - 40 seconds to fast warm the cats then its not used again :(

OP has said it happens when hot at lights .... Sorry . :oops:

My SAI pump definitely runs for a few secs after stopping, following a period of running at speed. I noticed a mate's 4S did it too.

I've always thought it was odd that it was needed when warm.

This weekend is a long weekend for us in Luxembourg, so I'm going to check it out in more detail and will let you know what I discover...

@ Robertb im the first to admit i dont know everything but im somewhat suprised at it working anytime after the initial cold start as there is no point ..

Afraid i can only say ive never come across it running them up or on road test , even the ones with noisy SAI .. but i have seen them disconnected before due to the noise .

I guess an easy check would be to unplug the pump and see if the noise is still there .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back