Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear tyre wear

silvermilnec

Albert Park
Guys I've always had tyre wear on the inner edge of all my 911 is this normal due to the camber? I looked at my rears on the Turbo before it went in for MOT a couple of days ago and got an advisory for inner wear and i've got pretty even wear across the tyre with 4.5 to 5mm of tread left.

The tyres are Pirelli P Zero they were on the car when I bought it so could have been out of alignment and then put right at a recent service before I got it.
I always have the geometry checked and always buy tyres in pairs.

Tyres are expensive and especially if your chucking them away with 4mm on.

Just try Googling 911+tyre wear... yes, it's pretty normal.

It might be worth getting the alignment checked to ensure you don't have too much negative camber, and that you have a nice even set up. But 911's eat tyres.

If you've got 4mm+ left across the rest of the tyre then your alignment is definitely out. They do wear unevenly but that amount is extreme.

When you next get tyres have a proper geometry adjustment done. You will be amazed at how much better the car feels to drive and tyre wear will be reduced.

NB: Your alignment will not be checked as part of a service unless you specifically ask for it and pay the extra.

I run minimal camber on my rears to avoid uneven tyre wear on my 996. I believe the Porsche specify a value that is a good compromise between road and track but is excessive for purely road driving. I use about -0.5 degrees and a tiny amount of toe in. I get almost totally even wear across the tyre and the handling on the road is fine, but it is a little tail happy when driving 10 tenths on the track.

Cheers guys, i'm going to keep an eye on it, i'll get a pair put on in the next 500 miles or so and get the geometry checked.

Pzeroes are not great for a 911. Would suggest you get Michelin Pilot Sport 2's or super sports!

resigner said:
Pzeroes are not great for a 911. Would suggest you get Michelin Pilot Sport 2's or super sports!

I'll go Pzeroes this time on the backs then when all 4 corners need doing i'll change. I had pilot on a 968 years ago great tyre. great car as well.

silvermilnec said:
Guys I've always had tyre wear on the inner edge of all my 911 is this normal due to the camber? I looked at my rears on the Turbo before it went in for MOT a couple of days ago and got an advisory for inner wear

Mine was the same advisory last week. Ive done 15,000 miles on these P Zeros, it looks like the back has worn slightly quicker than the fronts, but I too will be swapping them for MPSS or similar next time around.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back