Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Light swirls and scratches

Monkeynutz

Hi all some advice needed please.

Any recommendations for a 1-Step polish and pad combination process for removing light swirls and small light scratches from paintwork using a DAS6 Pro Plus or similar? There are a ton of products out there and I don't know where to start and some guidance would be appreciated. My current thinking is a green hex logic pad and VSS by Chemical Guys?

I have decided I want to enjoy the pleasure of making my car gleam rather than hand it over to a detailer, if I can help it. I am sure the car was detailed by the OPC prior to sale so the paint is in pretty good order so not rushing to get it done.

I am just starting out with this detailing malarkey and am rather enjoying it. I have recently thrown out the cheap Halfrauds polishes and Turtlewaxes and have now adopted the 2 bucket wash method, invested in wash mitts and microfiber cloths, drying towels etc as well as waiting for a further delivery from Bilt Hamber :)

At the weekend I cleaned the car and finished off with some Colinite 476 and I love the finish and it was so much easier to use than some of the crap I have used in the past! However, on closer inspection, under the sunlight, I can see very light swirls and scratches on the paint and these are now bugging me so at some point I would like to tackle them and really make the car pop.

As the car lives outside I also aim to eventually give it some longer lasting protection with something like cQuartz UK or is this kind of stuff best left to the pros?

Apologies, just checked my link, my images aren't hosted anymore for some annoying reason.

The return of Marty Wild said:
For long lasting protection, look no further than 'Chemical Guys - Jetseal 109' the sealant lasts for ages, much more hard wearing than wax and provides a really deep lustre.

Here is a thread I started to try and coax the grafters out...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118376&sid=fadcf2d116b4b188c906adaa5d3c9b24

Brilliant thanks for the recommendation and I am reading the link. Clearly the way to go is test and start out with a with a 'less is more' approach a proceed from there.

Claying car is the next level in this game, great that you're washing in the correct manner. Clay the car, polish and go from there.... claying removes all the impurities and previous products etc. Allowing you to polish the paintwork and not through the crap left on by normal washing.

Detailing world is your friend:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

I used to Do Do juice wax, but once I sealed, I never looked back. Sealant goes on a lot faster than wax too! Amazing the results you get from simple washes after you've sealed on top of a good detail.

A decent post-wash detail spray is great too, for removing water marks and giving it a proper shine.

Also, use towels to dry- ditch that chammy!

Have bought an iron/fallout remover spray and a tar remover spray to start with an even cleaner slate and hopefully make claying easier. Looking forward to having some time for a proper detail.

My god was there mention of a chammy? Instant dismal over on DetailingWorld! :lol:

There is no end to how far you can take it is there! Do you find those products work then, Rob?

Thanks again! I have been watching Matt over at Obsessed Garage on Youtube and I started watching because of his GT3 but I have been following his stuff since and it's amazing to watch the level of detail that he is working to - now that is some next level stuff!
He is off on his Porsche GT annual outing to the mountains this week...oh my lord those cars!!

Hear you, the top boys actually detail the cars before they get delivered to their new owners. The quality of the paintwork is substandard from the factory!

15-20 bags for a detail anyone? This guy has Arabs shipping their cars to him.

http://www.elitedetailing.co.uk/

Robertb said:
A decent post-wash detail spray is great too, for removing water marks and giving it a proper shine.

Also, use towels to dry- ditch that chammy!

Have bought an iron/fallout remover spray and a tar remover spray to start with an even cleaner slate and hopefully make claying easier. Looking forward to having some time for a proper detail.

Thanks Robertb, I have put my order into Bilt Hamber for a range of cleaners and clays. They seem to get good reviews and reasonably priced. I have definitely ditched the old leather and invested in a range of MF cloths and drying towels. The towels are a bit of a revelation and I am struggling to keep my Mrs away from them to use in the house!

The return of Marty Wild said:
My god was there mention of a chammy? Instant dismal over on DetailingWorld! :lol:

There is no end to how far you can take it is there! Do you find those products work then, Rob?

TBH they are still sitting on the shelf in the garage waiting for their moment!

I REALLY want to detail mine for the first time, interested to see what returns I can get on a white car. But then, I want to be cycling every moment that god sends! Real tough one!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back