Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Tow bar

llamamoo

I know sounds odd... But I just bought my first full out track bike which i'll need to tow to and from the track.
I'll only be towing a bike (180kg) plus bike trailer (60kg), I was wondering if anyones come across a tow bar kit in the UK for a 996 C4?

Matt

I'm sure it could be done, but for what it would cost, and the potential damage, I would buy a cheap estate tow car... also more room for bits and bobs inside.

You can get roof racks, but obviously that's not going to cut it. There won't be a tow bar for a 996 because there simply isn't anything back there that's low down enough to attach one to. The ends of the chassis rails are too high up and lower down there are light weight brackets around the exhaust/engine but they're much too feeble to attach a tow bar to.

Buy a Van doubles as a bike safe and spares container and even overnight accommodation if you venture abroad for track days, best investment I've made recently.

^^^^^^ Good point!

I've always done car trackdays but it makes sense having a bike inside and secure rather than on a trailer. Can get there faster too. Towing is a bit of a hassle.

Seem to remember a video on youtube... The guy had fixed it to the rear impact bar behind the bumper. I attached behind the number plate. The number plate was on a sprung hinge and he did it to tow his track wheels. Also maybe worth contacting this guy;

I always liked riding to the track (and hopefully back!) but if you are going to get serious I'd recommend a cheap pick up truck. I've just bought a ratty 2 seater 2.0 Ford Ranger for under £1000 to stick the off-road bikes in, not that exciting to drive but it's a work tool and will happily cruise down the motorway in basic comfort. Just fitted chunky wheels and tyres and about to give it a jack- up for that red neck look!

Can't justify buying another car to realistically do 6 track days a year.. i'm sure if i build a trailer mount; the trailer would end up ripping the engine out the back some how!

If you can't stretch to a 1000gbp snotter for your trackdays, I'd rather rent a van than try to stick a tow bar on a 911. It's got to be easier and more convenient. :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back