Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Led lights

steve1

Nurburgring
side lights blown again, going to replace with LED's there seems to be a wide range of prices. Does this make a difference and some are advertised as raising no errors. Is this just a sales gimmick.

Steve

The issue is that LEDs have much lower power draw than a normal bulb, hence the car thinks a bulb has blown. So they need to have the correct resistor in to simulate the load. Or something.

But no, not a gimmick.

cheers, i have both sidelights blown on mine but no codes up, so im guessing it does not matter

You should look for CANBUS compliant bulbs and some have built in resistors, they're really no dearer on Ebay.

From my experience, LED bulbs never really last that long. I've replaced my side light bulbs twice in the last 3 months on my daily driver. I'm going back to conventional when they next fail (couple of weeks!).

As with a lot of things the market is swamped with cheap Chinese copies all of which with a varying degree of quality. In my experience, try and find genuine "CREE" bulbs which will be the brightest and longest lasting.

There isn't much of a CANbus in the 996, and nothing compared to a new merc, audi or whatever... Thankfully Side lights are not monitored, but bought CANbus ones anyway because I could

The fitting is BAX9S, I bought 6 of these 18 months ago, one died after 3 months so I out another one in and been fine since. LEDs don't have a predictable life in the high power, small size fittings IMHO, some last months, others years...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pc...-H21W-W5W-1SMD-LED-Side-Turn/32801514463.html

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back