Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Overboost on 997.1 Turbo

vlad

Hi, what and when would I see this ?

If I select sport mode, and then nail the throttle - I only ever see 1.0 bar max.

I hear sport mode allows 10 seconds of overboost at 1.2 bar.

I have never seen 1.2 bar.

When the question has been asked elsewhere on the interweb, responses range from having to be in top gear when you nail it to achieve 1.2 bar, to you won't see 1.2 on the gauge but an arrow pointing up (to signify the overboost)?

Anyone actually seen 1.2 on the gauge or know how to confirm the overboost has kicked in.

TBH at the speeds that can be reached when its boosting the last thing I should probably be looking at are the gauges :D

She pulls like a train no reason to think I have any leaks , just wanted to confirm the overboost function was working.

Ta

Do you have Sport Chrono? Do you have the clock/wart on the dash (even though SC can be retro-fitted without it)?

Do you have a little 'upwards arrow' appear on the readout within the rev counter when you mash the throttle?

I used to get 1.0 on overboost when it was standard.

When you get the overboost you will see an 'up arrow' symbol next to the boost gauge.
Obviously you only get overboost in sport mode and overboost only comes in when you quickly 'floor' the throttle, it will not come in unless you do this.

No turbo would have a sport button without the functionality that went with it.

Sport chrono as you keep referring is the sport button and clock combination. The sport button being the control of damper and engine parameters together.

Sport button can be retro fitted but not the clock. Functionality remains the same when the button is pressed though.

Over boost sport chrono

Thanks for your replies, yes I have sports chrono, the button and the wart, when I
select sports mode appears on the gauge.

Probably only tested with standing starts and low gear roll ons 2nd / 3rd, sounds like maybe I should be in a higher gear when I mash the throttle?
More testing me thinks :lol:

All my stats and info come from a very reliable source, it's called 'the drivers manual'!

I find the actual .bar shown on the dash varies day by day. I think it was 9e who said in one thread that the actual value shown on the dash is just an indicator and not the actual real .bar the engine is getting.

I find I usually see 0.7 / 0.8 under normal mode, then 1.0 under sports mode. The overboost arrow is usually more noticable when you floor it in the higher gears. So for example sitting at 50 in 6th then boot it. As someone else said you have to really put your foot to the floor hard.

My understanding is that the display is merely a graphic and not raw data. Boost pressure is all over the shop in raw data form so Porsche smooth it all out with a progressive graphic type deal when you bury the loud pedal.

My own car for instance has been tuned to deliver a continual 1.4 bar boost but my boost reading has remained the same. I don't think I've ever seen more than 1.0 bar.

I find you have to going pretty quick when you floor the throttle to get 1.2 bar showing, but my car will show it with the up arrow showing as well.

Just try harder! :lol: And a higher gear may help.

vlad said:
Hi, what and when would I see this ?

If I select sport mode, and then nail the throttle - I only ever see 1.0 bar max.

I hear sport mode allows 10 seconds of overboost at 1.2 bar.

I have never seen 1.2 bar.

When the question has been asked elsewhere on the interweb, responses range from having to be in top gear when you nail it to achieve 1.2 bar, to you won't see 1.2 on the gauge but an arrow pointing up (to signify the overboost)?

Anyone actually seen 1.2 on the gauge or know how to confirm the overboost has kicked in.

TBH at the speeds that can be reached when its boosting the last thing I should probably be looking at are the gauges :D

She pulls like a train no reason to think I have any leaks , just wanted to confirm the overboost function was working.

Ta

I have often wondered the same. When I press the sport button the dash says "sport" and when I mash the loud pedal I get the up arrow symbol but never seen more than 1.0 bar displayed on either of the boost display options on the dash.

The throttle response seems sharper with the sport on and as the car is so rapid anyway it's hard to tell if there is actually any more boots or not?

From the responses so far it doesn't appear that anyone has actually seen 1.2bar on the dash?

My 997.1 turbo was one of the few originally optioned without Sports Chrono. I wasn't overly bothered about having the clock on the dash and knew the sports button could be retrofitted so was never a deal breaker. I have subsequently had the sports button added by my OPC which has definitely made the car more enjoyable to drive, I certainly get the up arrow on the dash and can feel the difference from the overboost, however I have never seen the boost gauge go above 1.0 bar even on wide open throttle.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back